Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by No_Fingures, Jul 21, 2002.

1. No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    I have a fender squire jazz bass.
    OIt has a bowed neck
    Itryed playing with the trusle rod but i am kinda sketchy on how.......

I a guessing righty tighty, lefty loosy..

and figure tightening pulls it inward
    and that loosing bows it backward.

M question mostl is how do i know which way to gop...should i tighten or can yu tell
  2. i think you have it backwards.......when you tighten it (clockwise), it counteracts the string tension, and pulls the neck into a backbow (or just straight), lowering the action.

counterclockwise loosens it, allowing the strings to pull the neck forwards, increasing the height...

you shouldn't turn it more than a quarter of a turn per day.....then let it settle overnight. the wood needs to adjust to the new tension, and the full effect won't be seen until it's left overnight, or at least for a few hours.....

if the neck is twisted (easy to see if you look along the neck) it's not as simple.......

as a general check, if you fret at the first and last frets, there should be about .015" between the middle fret....somewhere around 7th or 8th.

if you can't measure the distance, it should be just slightly above the frets, not against any except the first and last.
  3. Do a search.. :rolleyes:

Hmm why when i read that post it reminded me of Ned Flanders??? :eek:

4. Ned huh? - It gave me a definite Benjamin Towle vibe!
  5. No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    heh i have gotten Ernest, matthew from that Radio show.......and some others