Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bowie - Live at the Beep - Mark Platti

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by carl-anton, Nov 28, 2003.

1. I was wondering if anybody has any info, on the bassplayer, and indeed the gear used on "Ashes to Ashes" on Bowies Live at the Beeb disc (the disc with the new live concert, not the old stuff). I'm pretty sure it's Mark Plati playing (although Gail Ann Dorsey plays most of the concert), and I'm pretty sure he uses a Stringray. Any info on amp, strings etc. would be more than welcome. I totally dig his tone, and wanna know how he get's it. The way he shifts between slap and fingerstyle is sweet :)

Thanks!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've seen a few concert videos and UK TV specials with Bowie and have also been intrigued by this.

So - he plays guitar throughout and Gail Ann Dorsey plays bass on MTD usually.

But then when it comes to 'Ashes to Ashes' - one of Bowie's biggest hits over here - he picks up a Stingray and plays the distinctive slap line from the tune.

I can only assume that Dorsey refuses to play slap bass - I've never seen her do it - on grounds of taste or something like that! ;)

So - she is obviously a very good bass player, who is tasteful and restrained - and it seems that Bowie can't tour without her - so one of his guitarists has taken on the job of playing this one tune, as close to the original line as possible, while Gail Ann Dorsey stands around pretending to hit a tambourine!! :p

3. Thanks Bruce :)
    I did a search and found Platis homepage, and found some info there. He's first of all a bassist, and apparently still likes playing bass. This is from an interview on the site:

...at the BBC gig, how come you swapped on 'Ashes to Ashes' with Ms. Dorsey (who is an amazing bassist)'

Gail and I first decided to swap in Milan while we were doing one of those TV shows where you only get to play one song. We were playing 'Thursday's Child' for the umpteenth time, so we decided to make it interesting and switch off. We decided that we'd do it in concert after that, and we chose 'Ashes' as it has both a great guitar and bass part, and the band were then in the process of learning it. We later swapped on 'Seven', and also on 'London Boys' when Gail plays clarinet.

(http://www.markplati.net/news/faq.htm)

No info on gear though (besides he plays a Stingray).

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I looked at that site and it says :

"Mark Plati is a producer, engineer and musician based in New York City. He has been a musician since the age of 10, the drums being his first instrument..

In 1991 he made The Looking Glass Studios in New York his base, recording there with artists such as David Bowie, Natalie Imbruglia, Hooverphonic, Duncan Sheik and Dave Navarro, to name a few. Mark has coproduced, engineered and mixed most of David Bowie's musical output for the last four years, and in the last year has been performing live with David as a guitarist and musical director."

5. If you mean that he's original a drummer, thats true and he's also Bowies guitarist. But he's ultimately considering himself as a bassist, he says somewhere. Anyway, I actually sent him a mail, and he responded very quick and was very friendly. He said he couldn't remember precisely the gear he used on 'Ashes', since it's Gails gear :), but he meant that it was Rotosound Funkmasters, Ampeg and the Stingray. But he was allmost sure that only the direct signal from the bass was recorded, so which amp he/they used is obsolete in this connection.
    I would of course have pasted the reply, but I somehow managed to delete. I know it's sounds like a scam, but it's the truf I swear :oops:

Now, the Funkmasters are out of production, but it was a really light gauged version of the RS66 as I remember. Think I tried them once over ten years ago, and they were almost unplayable. Dorsey is now using Elites I believe.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Well at least it appears that Mark owns a NYGB Elrick....

[​IMG]

7. slipitin

slipitin Guest

Jul 26, 2002
    London
    Much prefer Gail's take on ashes. His approach just sounds flash to me, not supportive and he's got an in-front feel that puts me off.