Bowing Amplified

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by fsanfili, Feb 9, 2004.

1. fsanfili

Feb 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Often when I am playing with a louder band and have to bow while amplified, I get a lot of ringing of the open strings, due to resonance from the amp. When playing on the G or D string, I've taken to sort of leaning my head into the neck and dampening the E and A strings with my neck. This is awkward, to say the least. Does anyone have a better solution?
  2. I'm currently using a foot pedal preamp through the effects loop on a two channel blender and I set the pedal volume a little lower. tap the pedal, use the bow. Seems to stop the excessive ringing. Also, the blender has a phase switch that helps aLOT!
  3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I love the ringing string stuff when I'm bowing's like I get rewarded with a little reverb for showing I care a little more about my intonation.

Buddly's solution is the one I prefer to use too - bring down the volume when the bow leaves the holster. I can't share any excitement over phase magic cause that's above my head.

You could also try sticking felt or something else under the strings somewhere, like near the nut. You're losing some pizz sustain, but it'll give your neck a rest.

All this makes me wonder about that little electric gizmo that drives a string on an electric guitar and keeps it going forever. Can't remember what it's called...maybe an e-bow, or electric bow, or something. Do guitar players have to worry about open strings like this when they work that thing too?
  4. KLAUS FITZGERRALDO mentioned that he uses a hair scrunchie at the nut (the bass's, that is) to help eliminate the problem.