Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bowing e string

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by bannah_avecmoi, Nov 20, 2004.

1. bannah_avecmoi

bannah_avecmoi

Nov 5, 2004
    when i play on the e string i find it a little more umcomfy for arco i have to bend toward the sring alittle or i just have to move the bass alittle bit. My question is.... is that normal or am i doing something wrong?

thnaks hannah

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    When I have that problem, it's usually because I have the bass angled too much into my torso and off to my left side. When I have more of my body behind the bass, the angle of the bow corrects itself, and I can reach all the strings easily. This also takes a lot of pressure off of my left wrist, as it isn't bent at such a radical angle in this position. Give it a try.

3. What he said, but also have your teacher check out the relationship between how the bow sits in your hand and the angle of your wrist. Take a look at the streicher bow technique or better yet take a lesson from a teacher who teaches it; even if you don't convert entirely it will give you some new ideas to think about.

4. According to your profile, you're a newbie on the DB. It seems you don't have a bass of your own nor a teacher.
    Of course I wish you the best of luck aquiring both as soon as possible.
    As for your E string problem....have you been exposed to the Rabbath stance yet? Do a search on TBDB under Rabbath, and try to see some pictures of him playing. I always sound like a broken record on Rabbath. If I wasn't so old, I would seriously look into alot of his musical philosophies.
    His stance with a bent end-pin, and the bass more out in front of you, while standing gives great access to all the strings. Check it out if you're in the mood..
    Good luck

5. nikkis67

nikkis67

Nov 24, 2004
    Utrecht NL
    its all about the angle of the hand and the bass...if u know what i mean

6. I could swear someone said Karr moved the bass a nudge to bow the e string - don't ask me where mind.

7. bannah_avecmoi

bannah_avecmoi

Nov 5, 2004
    thank you all very much for the tips it is nice to know that it isnt normal and that i can make myself more comfy
    hannah