1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bowing gut D&G and E&A Steel

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Doghouse_Oli, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Hi!!

What brand of steel E&A would be the best match with plain gut D&G for bowing?

My current setup is Spirocore solo E&A with plain gut D&G...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

2. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'd say that Spiro Solos are about as good a choice as any other. You could try a a darker, orchestral string like Flexocor or Bel Canto, but you'd probably be dissatisfied with the pizz. Also, gut tends to have fairly pronounced upper-mids when bowed, so something like Spirocore might be a better match tonally anyway. I've used Spiro Solos and Gamut guts and have been surprised how well they match. As Ray Charles said, "You've got the right one, baby."

3. Thanks!!!!!

I'll try to get used to them!!!!

4. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Bobby's advice is gold- that said, I think the pizz on the Bel's and Flex (92's) is better than "acceptable"- approaching "pretty good"! :) That's on my basses though- ymmv, and I've found few who agree with my point of view on this.

I find the (arco) difference between steel and gut to be too disparate. I can't mix them- I have to go all the way, one or the other...again, ymmv. The Spiro on the bottom and gut on top set has long proven itself- so what do I know? :D

Evah's seem to be a good match with gut too- my teacher is using plain A, D and G with an Evah E on his baroque bass.

Joe

5. Thanks for all the advice. Maybe i'll try flexocore in à near future....

I'm really curious to know if jargar dolce e&a would be à great mix with plain gut d&g....

The spiro/gut mix is setting up well for tomorrow show.... The first show where i bow 30%, pizz 40%, 30% slap... It will be à great chalenge to blend the 3 technique in one show!!!!!