Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bowing on Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by [SD], Feb 24, 2004.

1. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    hello i have a question, i've got a 5 string warwick standard corvette and a digitech bp2000 multieffects pedal and i was thiking if with a bow i could get a nice bowing sound!
    So if any of you have any experience on bowing on a electric bass please advice me if it's possible or not!

thanks!

2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Yes, It is possible to bow on electric bass!

BUT the fingerboard is not curved so you can really only play the highest or lowest string easily. The two highest for double stops is also easily posible. The strings do get rather sticky wherever you use a horse hair bow. I find it easiest to bow in the 16th-21st fret area of the fingerboard. I usually use it for long drones on slower songs.

I havn't tried an e-bow yet but I hear they are easier to use. I have found horsehair bow to be cool at times in songs but it can be a bitch to use without proper bow handleing. So give a try with a cheap bow with plenty of rosin. Then again an e-bow looks very cool too.....

http://www.e-bow.com/

3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Yeh it is hard. I played it once just mucking around. I could only do the g string or the e string. Or all of them. I suppose you could higher each of the strings so it is curved like a double bass. but then you would have change all of the intonation.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    ...and the middle strings would have substantially less output, since the pickups are flat, not rounded to the curve of the strings. And it would feel totally different to play those two strings with such a sunstantially higher action. It is pretty impossible to do that and still have the bass playable.