Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bowing open strings

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by delbass, Sep 9, 2003.

1. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Hi-
    Anyone have any tips for bowing a closed (fretted?!!) note directly followed by an open string? (both notes are played on the same string) For example, the first few bars of the prelude to cello suite #1 (transposed to C) when you have to play an E on the g string followed by a open g 2 times in the same bow stroke? Most of the time I get this horrible scratchy sound when going from the closed to open string and vice versa. I've experimented with different bow speeds/arm weight but can't seem to find a solution. Hopefully someone can help!
    -Mike

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Your best bet would be to work with someone you want to learn stuff like this from...like a teacher...but if I understand your situation correctly then play around with giving the string a gentle pull as you lift your finger off the stopped E.

You can thank Jimi Hendrix for that one. Watch him play the Star Spangled Banner.

3. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Hi, thanks I'll try the "Jimi Hendrix" method and see if that works. I studied double bass at college with a professor/instructor, but now I'm just trying to clean up my bow work on my own. For some reason, I never noticed this problem until now....maybe its the weather!! Could also be the spirocores which are about 2 years old. Just to clarify my question, I'm having trouble switching from a stopped note to an open note on the same string with one continuous bow stroke (not changing direction) I can do fine if I change bow direction, but the bow marking calls for ONE bow stroke. Thanks!
    -Mike

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    If you want expert advice from someone a little closer to earth, check out Jeff Bradetich doing the Max's Magic exercise on his video.

While Jimi uses the whammy bar, Jeff uses the bow.

5. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Hey, problem solved!! Thanks a lot..the pulloff "Jimi Hendrix" method works like magic.

6. Jeff is my idol .(bass teachers bass teacher!)

7. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Try grabbing the g over on the a string with your second finger. I'm not sure if this is good but it is an option. My open g is horrable.

Joe

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i was going to suggest working on your bow transitions but it seems that you've solved your problem.