1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bowing percussion instruments

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Mikemm, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Mikemm

Mikemm

Mar 12, 2008
    The percussion teacher at my university recruited me the other day to play in a performance where I would be using my bass bow to play a marimba and vibraphone by bowing along the short surface on the back (for sharps/flats) or front (naturals).

Is this kind of technique harmful to the bow? It goes through rosin really quick.

Thanks

2. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    In high school band there was a piece that required bowing across a cymbal, made a screeching train brake like sound, was pretty cool but killed the bow. Are the keys( or what ever you call them) wood or synthetic? A friend did the same thing on a synthetic keyed marimba and it didn't damage the bow much at all, though I'd guess wood might be more harsh on the bow.

3. Mikemm

Mikemm

Mar 12, 2008
    It's a rosewood marimba and a metal vibraphone

4. ouija

ouija

Jan 18, 2009
    It's definitely harder on the bow than a string; you'd probably be well off seeing if your orchestra teacher or anyone has some crap, mostly useless, half-broken stick you could use. The amount of rosin you'll have to use is gonna make the bow, good or bad, hard to use either way too.

5. thewhale

thewhale

Feb 28, 2008
    north carolina
    just buy a fiberglass bow to use. It's hard to believe a university percussion studio wouldn't already have some kind of bass bow to use, band music calls for this technique quite a bit.

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Watch here as Professor Julias Sumner Miller creates patterns in the sand by bowing a metal plate.

7. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany

:):)