Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bowing Question

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by PIZZAcato, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Now Im not exactly a new player (a couple years now) but i recently started to use bows (about 6 months ago {and they're not of the utmost quality if you get what I mean} I wish I could get a good one but it doesnt appear to be in my near future), anywho... I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions, since I know professionals read these forums. Any suggestions, links, personal tips/tricks are very welcome, especially jazz arco :cool: . Thanks...

P.S. Getting a good teacher soon!

2. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    You can get a very affordable bass bow from www.gollihur.com .

I just ordered mine last night, won't be getting it til friday though.

I wish I would've asked for faster shipping.

3. If you are not planning on getting a new bow anytime soon, practice LOOONG tones and scales with the one you have,and when you are happy with the tone you get, move on to the next step.
    (if you can't play it slow and sound good, it won't sound any better if you play it fast.)

4. EggyToast

EggyToast

Jan 21, 2006
    Baltimore
    I picked up one of Gollihur's fiberglas bows, and it's a very nice beginner bow. My teacher was impressed by it, and did some advanced techniques with it and said that most fiberglas bows don't let you do that. When he asked how much it cost, he was surprised, stating "wow, they've really come down in price."

For $60 plus rosin, they seem like great starter bows. Of course, you may already be past that. Is your current bow at least all horsehair?

I've heard good things about his brazilwood bows, too, which are around $200 (compared to the thousands of a really good bow).

5. Machina

Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    Dito, long tones and scales with a tuner. Experiment with dynamics and btw is it a french or german bow?

6. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Don't get too hung up on bow quality.

A fiberglass bow strung with real horsehair or a decent brazilwood bow like Bob G's should be enough for 90% of your bowing needs in my opinion.

I think better bows give you better sound more so than improve your technique which you have to develop yourself over time (like I'm trying to do).

7. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    +1 on real horsehair. I started with synthetic hair and stayed there for almost a couple of years. What a difference going to horsehair after that! I wouldn't recommend the trip to anyone.

8. Machina

Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    True.

A better bow gives you a better sound. I think as far as technique: it does make some things faster to master, but you still have to learn the technique on your own. I've played fiberglass, brazilwood, carbon fiber, and (currently) snakewood. But expensive bows are not needed by jazzer.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :eyebrow:

10. Machina

Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    I mean the guy who uses it once in a million solos...not the guy out there every night.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I was more on a) that was a snobbish statement, and b) what an individual 'needs', wants or desires is his choice, and his alone.

Now, that said, it's worthwhile to suggest that he might have to get some chops together before he can realize the potential of a fine bow, and further that the choice he would make on which to drop the big bux will be different now than when he has more experience.

From a beginner's position, which he may have right now, he's fine with any bow that will not hinder his progress. I would suggest, as a teacher, that he learns on the best bow that he (with a teacher's guidance) can obtain within a given budget.

12. I am currently playing on my schools bow (which i dont know what they are... im guessing horse hair and some kind of cheap, and poorly manufactured, "wood") and i bought a german bow (when i didnt know there were two kinds... yeah i know now) and it has mongolian horse hair on it with brazilwood. But the german bow hair is not strung right, it has a tight side and a loose side, i bought off of ebay when i didnt know anything about bows.
    Anyway I will have a teacher soon, but i am looking for suggestions for good french bows. I play in a large concert band (Brass, Winds, etc...) and I am the only strings player (yeah at least im getting experience) and I play in various small jazz ensembles ranging from big band to funk. Thanks for all of your wonderful advice...

-PizzA