bowing/relief question.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Discrepancy, Mar 30, 2004.

1. I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, but i cant find what i need in the search. The neck on my OLP stingray is warped a little, twards the strings around the 5th to 7th frets. Its causeing buzz in the lower frets. The only place i can see to adjust the trussrod is right at the end of the neck where the neck meets the body. How would i go about fixing this. I don't really want to pay someone to do something if its something i can do myself, but I will if there is no other way. Thanks for your help.

Maybe you can post this question in the Luthiers corner.

I would suggest getting a pro to do it for you.

You can read more atNeck Repair

3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Check the post before this one. Your question is pretty much answered there. Try adjusting the bridge saddles just a bit higher on the strings that are buzzing.

Good luck.

Harreell S.
  4. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Are you sure the neck is warped? Not sure what you mean by "lower frets," but if it's buzzing in near the nut (frets 1-5), try loosening the truss rod a bit (that is, let the string tension add relief/bend to the neck), if it's buzzing above the 12th fret, try raising the saddles.
  5. This is good advice. Treena's reply is excellent information too, which answers some questions I've been asking myself recently.

I've been working on an el cheapo bass that isn't behaving normally. I was tightening the truss to relief excess relief in the middle frets that actually ended up giving me backbow in the first 4 frets. This was causing me to fret out on my first fret, but not on the others.
    Looking down the neck on this bass, I can clearly see that it is not warped, but the truss rod is not pulling the relief out in the right places.
    I ended up taking off the neck and adding a very thin shim to it to help give a better overall string action height, without trying to achieve this with the truss rod alone.

Hope some of this helps..