Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bowing Technique!!!

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Jul 16, 2002.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Can anyone tell me what shifting with the bow means? I believe its on gary karrs video bassically karr. What are the facts on differant speeds of bowing and bowing length when playing?

thanks

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    "Shifting the bow" means changing direction. "Down-bow" mean moving your bowing arm to the right and "up-boW" means moving your bowing arm to the left.

I haven't seen Gary's video but I suspect he has a lot to say about bow speed, which is a central part of his approach. The general rule of thumb is, "lower --> slower and closer to the bridge --> slower" but believe me, I don't speak for Gary Karr!

Gary has a site and you may be able to find some information there. It's http://garykarr.com -- it's got audio-streams of Gary which are a real treat.

"Flat flip flies straight -- tilted flip curves -- experiment!"

3. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think Gary is referring to moving your bow proportionately closer to the bridge as you play higher notes.

Rabbath explains this too, on his cd rom and in his books.

Watch a good solo artist and you will see them do this, it is neccessary in order to maintain even tone all the way up the bass.

experiment: play a note at the very highest pitch of your fingerboard and put your bow right over the end of your fingerboard. now, without changing bow seed or weight, move your bow closer to the bridge. You should find a sweet spot that resonates best for that speed/weight n that note.

learn to feel and be aware of that and you will sound very good.