1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bowing the E string?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by davegr8house, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Hello all,
    Well my lessons are going real well and my teacher is pleased with my progress. The lessons and re-learning the bass is at times a headach but I`m loving every minute of it.....but. I am useing a German Bow and very pleased with it except I`m having trouble bowing the E string. I know not seeing me play you cannot tell me my reason but my teacher says I`m doing fine but I cant seem to bow it clean. My teacher said I was droping my right shoulder when on the E string. He had me raise the endpin so I would have more bend in my elbow to help pervent my shoulder problem.
    When bowing the E my hand is almost touching my body. My wrist it locked and I keep striking the A string. So, my question is........Is this common with the German Bow? Any "rule of thumb" for bowing the E with a German Bow? I thank you for any help you can provide. Have a good day.
    Dave

--------------------------------------------------
    If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off;)

2. Just "roll" the bass outwards slightly to give you room to reach the low "E". It's more difficult on a bass with "violin corners", which is one of the disadvantages of having them, even though they do look rather nice.

Er, um - I don't think the wrist should be locked - my teacher always advocates a nice smooth "fluid" motion, which includes wrist and fingers...

I think the good Dr. Don should be able to help here...

- Wil

3. It's normal to have to do some slight shifting of body position to bow on the E string with a german hold bow. I presume you're playing standing, not sitting on a stool. You can lessen the problem by keeping the bass and yourself erect.

4. Hello,
    Thanks for the advice. I do play standing up but I read to stand up straight, have the bass stand up straight holding it in the middle of the neck with your left hand and then bring the bass to you. I`m willing to change my stance to correct a problem this early in my learning. I also kinda lean on my left leg. I have my weekly lesson tonight and I`ll talk to my teacher more about this. I guess I need to stress this more than I have. You guys know alot more about this than I do and Wil says to roll the bass and Don says to shift the body a little. I guess both are O.K. just whatever works for me.
    Thank you for your input.
    Dave

--------------------------------------------------
    If the world didn`t suck we would all fall off

5. We're not talking about major adjustments here; it's all kind of subtle. You'll do fine.