Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bowings for Bach

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Peter Ferretti, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I am not sure if this would go in the Cello suites thread or what, so mods do whatcha like. I'm playing the prelude to the first cello suite for an audition coming up in November, so I decided to start working on it. I have had conflicting advice on what the bowings were. One teacher said that the 8 notes to a bow on that first phrase was ok. Another one told me to slur the first two and take the rest as it comes. Another told me slur first two break u p the next two, then slur two to a bow for the next 4 notes. Just curious to what others on this board are doing.
    Thanks

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    for the first suite first mvt yes bow the 8 notes in one bow.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    the other pattern i found usefeul for bowing groups of 4 8ths is to up bow the first note and then downbow slurring the other three. try this is reverse also: downbow for first note then upbow slurring remaing three notes of figure.

Of course, i'm speaking in terms of Bach with these suggestions.

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    After going through many years of trying this teacher's way or that teacher's way I've come to this conclusion: You're the one playing the piece. How do you want to do it? You'll be more confident playing it the way that expresses your musical voice.

5. Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I decided that based upon the way I play, the tone of my bass, and what the piece sounds like in my head, that the slur two to a bow and take it as it comes. I can be pursuaded though. It seems like it would be a good bowing etude..

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Don't let the bowing pattern make it sound like an etude. Phrasing, phrasing, phrasing. That's what makes a listener enjoy a performance.

7. Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I was just thinking along the lines of if I need to practice something to build of my bow chops..then taht would be a good piece. The hardest part of the prelude is to master is musically. Anyone can play the notes.

8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    You might even hear some folks suggest that doing any slurring is bad form baroque-wise...LOL Actually I think when you hear Edgar Meyer do the 1st suite prelude he's not slurring it much at all either and he sounds great doing it.

If you're going to play this for an audition, I'd recommend that you learn to execute all the bowing patterns suggested by your teachers...this way if you are asked to play it again using a different bowing pattern you'll be much better prepared to nail it and make them smile real wide. :bassist:

...every time I use this :bassist: smiley I think about that Sammy Hagar video where there's this monkey moving back and forth with a guitar around its shoulder...