Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bowling For Columbine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by olps, Oct 5, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Who else here can't wait to see Michael Moore's latest, Bowling for Columbine? I just hope it gets played in a theatre near me. I doubt any major theatre chains will play it. Anyone else here seen Roger and Me, The Big One, or even Canadian Bacon? Great movies, so are his books. I suggest you check them out.

2. Yeah, i want to see it too, im a big fan.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I've seen Roger and Me and The Big One. Good stuff. I enjoy his pranks and jokes and think he's funny and creative. I don't like the parts where he starts preachin' the far left crud but he's good for a laugh. I used to really enjoy TV Nation too.

brad cook

4. Everyone should see this movie. We all know Micheal Moore is a genious. If you don't, see the movie, and you WILL agree:D Great subject, makes you think, and you will laugh the whole time.

If you don't like it, you can come to San Diego and punch me in the face a few times

5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    So does Moore come across in the movie as pro- or anti-gun control?

6. Pro gun control. It's very insightful and really makes you think. It doesn't given one sided answers, but asks questions and leaves you to decide for yourself.

7. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    columbine.... i sat home and watched that unfold all day on TV.... then went to a Marilyn Manson concert later on the same day.... pretty weird!

weird he was blamed, nobody at the concert shot anyone =)

(i played doom2 that day also)

ive never shot anyone

.......intend to see the film when its not in theatres

i hate going to sit with other strangers to watcha movie

8. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    If you liked Bowling for Columbine (probobly one of his best) you should check out Roger and Me, or The Big One. Also check out Stupid White Men, one of the best books I've read in a long time.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I haven't seen the movie yet but I would be very surprised if that is really the case. I really enjoy Moore's movies and books but it's hard to say objectively that he presents an even argument from both sides and leaves the viewer/reader to decided for himself. If anything his stuff is extremely slanted to the far left.

brad cook

I wish TV Nation was still on. That was a fun show.

10. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Funny, I never see Moore debate anyone in an open format on this topic. All his interviews are with fellow liberals like Donahue, and his movie is a cute little way to use entertainment to spread the propaganda to a captive audience. I would rather see "jackass" instead.

The issue isn't guns, it is bad people, who usually were raised in a bad family, which alas, liberals support whole heartedly. Let's sanction single parent families (welfare) and then when they don't work out and spawn bad kids who use guns (gangs) lets now mess with the constitution so that we can take away guns from the people who need them to protect themselves (women especially).

The number of accidental deaths in this country due to guns is less than drowning. At the same time guns SAVE more lives every year than kill people, b/c they are a deterrent. Every place that strictly enforces the laws we already have and/or has right to carry concealed weapon permit has LESS gun crime than places that don't. FACT.

Do you think that if the terrorists knew our pilots were armed that they would have been as successfil taking over those planes? Nope.

Michael Moore is a fat idiot and I am sure he himself owns a gun, or probably has body guards to gaurd his fat hypocritical a$$.

11. I didn't say that he sopported both sides. But he didn't give one sided answers. Honestly, it's been over a week since I've seen it, maybe I should see it again and clarify myself :p

And BTW, I'm not a liberal, but I acknowledge that Moore is on the left side of things. However, he wants to help people, and is genuine about it. I admire that.

12. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Moore is a member of the NRA in the way I would join the NAACP and apply for a scholarship just to stir crap up.

Here is your poo:

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcInfoBase.asp?CatID=43

Seems to be MUCH more success stories here than even the liberal media can drum up about 3 year olds shooting each other by accident.

the Department of Justice sponsored a survey in 1994 titled, Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms. Using a smaller sample size than Kleck's, this survey estimated 1.5 million Defensive Gun Uses annually.

More studies:

http://www.guncite.com/kleckandgertztable1.html

Scroll down to second table for more recent studies.

Your welcome.

13. PD, while your post is mostly comprised of absurdities stemming from your O'Reilly-esque inability to see the forest for the trees, you're dead on in the last line.

The NRA maxim, "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns," should be amended to: "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws and the rich will have guns." It is the utmost in hypocrisy that folks like Dianne Feinstein and Rosie O'Donnell should have had so much say in gun policy when they themselves place so much trust in firearms for their personal protection.

Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin, who on pretty much every matter but gun control is significantly to the left of the mainstream of the Democratic Party, has called the efforts of Eastern anti-gun liberals "stupid" and "misguided." He should know: he's from a state that hunts*, and sees guns more as tools of sport than as means of killing, and thus does not fear them. This is key.

(*On a related note, I am continually amazed at the ignorance of New York and New Jersey natives of the cultural importance and economic and environmental necessity of hunting, whatever the ethics of it. I'm from Illinois, and while I don't hunt, I recognize that if we're not going to have wolves and bears prowling around, we'd better do something to control the deer population.)

14. Don't paint liberals with such a broad brush. You are obviously a conservative and you have differing views from liberals, but it's really not as simple as you put it. And also, why result to personal attacks on Mr. Moore? What does his belt size have to do with anything?

15. Originally posted by pd_5string

Funny, I never see Moore debate anyone in an open format on this topic. All his interviews are with fellow liberals like Donahue, and his movie is a cute little way to use entertainment to spread the propaganda to a captive audience.

I have wondered about this myself but it's hard to say he only wants to debate and interview with his fellow liberals when he goes into the offices of CEO's and Gov't officials and asks them questions point blank.

I suppose you could say that both sides want to speak only in the right forum.

Every place that strictly enforces the laws we already have and/or has right to carry concealed weapon permit has LESS gun crime than places that don't. FACT.

Are you saying that every gang banger, paranoid ex-military "patriot" and angry urban professional has a permit for their Glock, Tek-9 and Bushmaster? Come on.

Gun law enforcement != gun control.

Do you think that if the terrorists knew our pilots were armed that they would have been as successfil taking over those planes? Nope.

Perhaps not but they might not have had to smuggle box cutters aboard. A successful ambush and disarming of the flight crew could have helped.

Michael Moore is a fat idiot and I am sure he himself owns a gun, or probably has body guards to gaurd his fat hypocritical a$$.

Have you seen the movie?

16. Originally posted by SMASH

Thanks PD.

I am now sure that when a woman gets jumped by a guy much larger than her she can reach in her purse, flip the saftey, and get herself out of trouble.

I'll feel safe knowning that the next time someone snatches a purse from a woman with anger managment problems and a permit for a Desert Eagle .50 I might be in the middle of a shooting spree.

17. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    You just made the point against mandatory trigger locks. Thanks!

18. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I wondered the same thing when that comedian wrote the book "Rush Limbaugh is a fat idiot."

I guess the gloves are off?

19. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    A woman with a gun who is trained is more likely to escape bad situations like this than you might think. At least it helps the odds in her favor rather than being the passive helpless victim you would have her be. Oh wait...there is the police, who will show up AFTER a crime has been committed, and won't save you when the crime is actually happening.

20. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY