Bowling for Columbine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    anybody see this movie?

i think it brilliantly put into movie formant things i've been upset and thinking about for years.

i think everyone in the world should see it, or at least the united states.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Uh-oh...apparently you missed the last Bowling for Columbine thread. It got real ugly and was eventually locked up. Let's keep it civil, folks!

brad cook
  3. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    i want to go bowling.
  4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i thought it was great. i didn't really get moore's persistence that the increased bombing in kosovo had a connection the columbine high school massacre. and to deny that connection would essentially deny the connection of the proximity of lockheed martin to columbine.

even if one does not believe lockheed's development of rockets (used as missles or satellites--my cousin is interested in getting a job there for their space stuff!) really has doesn't perpetuate a violent american culture, america's foreign policy over the years very well may. (in response to a question concerning the difference of a high schooler shooting up his school and america bombing countries it doesn't like, the pr guy for lockheed responded that america doesn't do that whenever it is upset. moore edits in a clip showing all the regime changes america has enacted with the number of civilian casualties played to the tune of "what a wonderful world.")

anyway, whenever moore stuck to facts, his argument was most powerful.

what he didn't bring up and was only implied is that japan and great britain and perhaps the other first-world countries (except for canada) he brings up for statistical comparison of gun-fatilities have gun control laws. i think it is important to know that! but it would've damaged his thesis, the culture, that brings more gun-violence and not the laws. however, the exploration of canada's gun-culture does corroborate his point beyond a shadow of a doubt. assuming that all he said is true, of course.

the "interview" with charlton heston was a terrible idea. did he just want to make heston look like a moron? (and heston also came off as a bigot, as well.)

i also thought that the "corporate cops" bit was funny.

paraphrasing the creator of cops: "watching the arrest of executives who steal $48 million wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as watching the arrest of someone who stole $48 because the cops would treat the executive like the mayor."

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    can somebody link me to the other thread that got locked up?
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.