bows with basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nbdybeatsthewiz, Jun 10, 2003.

1. nbdybeatsthewiz

Jun 10, 2003
    i want to buy a bow and play it with my (standard 4 string) electric bass.
    i dont know much at all so i need some advice please.
    can i get a bow cheap?
    will it work playing my bass with a bow?
    will the bow or my bass strings ruin from playing?
    how will it sound? too low?
    thanks for your help.
  2. Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    It won't really work. Upright basses have curved fingerboards, and the strings follow this curve. Since electric basses have "flat" fingerboards, the strings aren't in an arc, and you won't be able to play individual strings. The body also tends to get in the way. However, if you just want to flail away at the strings ala Jimmy Page (and come on, who of us hasn't tried it?) go nuts. The rosin will do nasty things to roundwound strings, though.

Bass bows run anywhere from free to thousands of dollars.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    yeah. I posted that in the other thread too but it got deleted.
  4. I've played some stuf on my bass guitars with a bow, but only in the lowest string. You can only play the first and last strings on your bass guitars.. It sounds killer.. very deep.
    If you want to do that seriously, why dont you buy an e-bow?
  5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Hate to be the chord-playin' loser here, but why not just learn some chords?
  6. Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Chords are an option. However, you'd need to wear your bass pretty low to get a full bowing in.

There's a Zeta bass that you can use as an upright or an electric. The board on that is curved enough for a bow to work... but you run into the bow stroke problems mentioned above.