1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bows

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by darthrunixia, Mar 30, 2009.

1. darthrunixia

darthrunixia

Mar 30, 2009
    Oregon
    I am looking for a bow for my 4-string bass. I am new to this, so I don't really know what information I need to give...

I just want a cheap one, lol. I'm not sure if I need a violin bow or a cello bow, or if it matters, and I don't know what the difference is between a 4/4 violin and the others, and if that even pertains to what I want to do.

I am also new here. :)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Welcome to TB! The strings on a typical bass guitar are mostly in a flat line, whereas the strings on a bowable instrument are in a big arc. The arc allows bowing one or two strings, whereas four in a flat line means you're bowing all four strings. It sounds terrible. If you are just making industrial noise music then it doesn't matter what kind of bow you use. If you're hoping to make jazz arco bowed music that sounds nice, a typical bass guitar will not work. You could look into an EUB (see the EUB forum for more info) or the Zeta "Crossover" bass which is designed to be bowable.

3. darthrunixia

darthrunixia

Mar 30, 2009
    Oregon
    Thanks! I had no idea...I won't be buying one now.