Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Box for shipping a bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by atldeadhead, Sep 10, 2003.

1. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Hello fellow low end dwellers.

Well I've just taken my first foray into the sellers market. I just sold my first bass. I need a box to ship the bass in, including case.

Can anyone recommend a good place to find a box that's big enough? Does Guitar Center keep any boxes around that they would give to someone? Does MailBoxes ETC, or the UPS store have boxes that are big enough?

I'm in the Atlanta area if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--sb

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The best place to get a box is at a guitar store. Sometimes, the smaller stores (or the stores where you're know) will be more willing to give you one. Salespeople at bigger stores can't be bothered to take the time helping someone who's not going to help them generate any cash at that particular moment.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If that doesn't work, MBE Charges about $17.00 for a box that'll fit your bass case. I have had basses shipped to me in the case and a bit of cardboard over the latches, but only do that if the case is already beat. It's none too impressive for the buyer.

4. If you have a Guitar Center near you then you're in business----I've never failed to find one there, though i usually have to root through their cardboard dumpster outside----but what the heck, free is free, and i've shipped off no less than a dozen basses this way.

5. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I guy here at work also recommended that I try and raid the GC cardboard dumpster. I'll give that a try tonight. WOW, $17 for a cardboard box seems a little steep.

Hopefully my dumpster diving will turn up something usable. Thanks for the hints fellas.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    UPS and most other couriers will pack it for you for an extra fee, IIRC.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just get my boxes from my local guitar shop when they throw em out after a new shipment.