Box to kill guitar-amp destroying lows?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    My setup right now is a 1x12 50 watt marshall geetar combo and a ampeg 210sp combo, and a art cool a/b/y box I recently purchased. I can't afford a signal splitter, so I need a box to run my signal into to kill the lows before it gets to the marshall. I dont know what I want, though ;x Any ideas? Maybe somthing as simple as a volume boost/overdrive, aslong as it kills the lows.
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I'm a little confused by what you want to achieve here... but I'll try to help you out. :)

Do you want to run the Ampeg full-range (both highs and lows) and just cut the low frequencies going to the Marshall? If so, I'm not sure what exactly you would need. I'm assuming you'd probably need to find a high-pass filter of some kind, or something that has one built into it. But then again I really have no idea.

Do you want to run the high frequencies to the Marshall and the low frequencies to the Ampeg? In this case you'd probably want a crossover. You should be able to find one in your pricerange; they're usually not very expensive. I can't suggest any specific models, but I'm sure someone else will be able to. :)
  3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I want to run the ampeg full range (even though it has a dull high-end) and use the marshall for dirt minus some low-end. So I'm thinking some random guitar pedal would work.
  4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Get any boost pedal with active tone controls, and cut the bass down... Or a sansamp GT2 or somthing like that...

5. You could probably get away with using a graphic equaliser pedal ( boss? )in the line to the guitar amp and use it to kill the frequencies that you don't want. That wouldn't cost the earth and would give you additional tone shaping as a bonus.
  6. Or, a cheap mixer that has a low-cut filter on each channel.
    A crossover between the guitar amp signal and the guitar amp would work too - simply plug the high out only into the amp.
    Cheapest and easiest option though is what Bassmaniac suggested (EQ - but try to look for a bass-specific one to hit the correct frequencies).
  7. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Just turn off the bass knob on the Marshall.
  8. dont do this as the bass knob on a guitar amp isnt the same frequency as the bass knob on a bass amp
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anything with an EQ on board should work. Most or all Tone-lok pedals have a two-band EQ and all the pedals can be had for about $50. As a matter of fact, I used an Ibanez SM7 to do the same thing running into my Marshall.
  10. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The SM7 is not a bass pedal, so rolling off the bass on it would have a similar effect to rolling off the bass knob on the Marshall. I know guitar bass knobs are at a different frequency than bass bass knobs, but it's still worth trying, you may like it like tplyons does.
  11. Rolling off the bass on the amp should work OK - you're more worried about low-frequencies into the speaker at high volumes, not into the preamp.

Any bass rolloff at the preamp is gonna help the power section and the speaker handle the signal.

I played an Ibanez ATK bass thru a Marshall Valvestate 80 for a while (loud), with no tone mods and no problems. In the end it all depends on how loud and how hard you're pushing the guitar amp. You could always swap out the speaker in the guitar amp with a bass driver...
  12. Hmmmm...Not sure if i should wade into this thread; almost blasphemous methinks?!
    Rolling off the EQ knobs on yer amp will do ya just fine. This method is a "poor man's" bi-amp solution. DJ's use this trick rather cleverly (I thought) for applying different FX to a full-range signal i.e.; flange or phase on the high band only, filter on the low band signal. Electrix used this approach with their rack units. Conversley, i turned my spare rig into a sub for my computer by rolling off all the mids and highs from it, then cutting the lows from my cheap computer speakers; sounded wicked with a bit of work?