Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Box VS Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi all,

I am wondering for you sound-techies out there... when a cab is rated at a certain wattage (for example 75) if you take the speaker out and replace it with a different one (say 150) assuming that the ohmage is the same is the actual box going to matter as well? Is the box rated at 75w also? I understand that volume (not loudness but a measurement of space) has something to do with it. So if you have a cab with 3 cubic feet of space inside and it houses a single 15" speaker rated at 75w. You replace that speaker with a single 15" speaker rated at 150w. That cab can still handle it? Or does it now need 4 cubic feet of space inside or whatever.

Thanks!

2. The power rating is based on the speaker's power rating.

The box air volume will affect how the speaker reacts, sounds, distorts, flubs, bottoms out, all that. So there is an important relationship between the box design and the speaker's particular parameters that make it sound how it does. If you blindly swap the speaker to another make/model that has a higher power rating, it will be able to handle more power, but it will probably sound like crap since the box and speaker are not necessarily "matched" for each other. If you are really, really lucky, it may sound good. But more than likely, they will not match each other and it will sound bad.

Chris

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for the info!

Yeah... I have been using the old hit and miss method. Sometimes it sounds good... sometimes it doesn't. I was trying to sell my old 1x15 cab and got plenty of calls, people all wanted it... and never showed... over and over... so I got out my handy-dandy jig saw (start playing scary music here) and cut the face off of it... made a new faceplate for 2x8, 2x6.5 and a 4" port in the middle... and damn, it sounds pretty good! Not for your 5 stringer though. hehe I just stuck it under my Microphone PA. According to the wattage adding thing it should take about 500w which is cool enough for me!

Gabriel Brooks,
    Butcherer of Equipment