Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boxcar Racer and Mark Hoppus?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zirc, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    So yeah just read a Mark Hoppus bash thread and I got to wonderin, so I figured someone here might know the answer.

This new Blink 182(2) band called Boxcar Racer to my knowledge was formed by Tom and Travis (guitarist and drummer of Blink). Now I could understand if it was a side project, but it's not, it's just Blink 182 without the bassist.

My friend and I have discussed this too. He has a pretty good name for Boxcar Racer, which is called "F*** the Bass Player".

So basically, can someone tell me why the guitarist and drummer decided to ditch the bassist?

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Someone is just gonna say "cuz Hoppus is a crappy bass player. I hate him and he sucks."

Close the thread before the Hoppus bashing begins. Thank you.:D

For the record, I like Hoppus.

Close the thread. Thanks. Bye

3. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    It was simply a side project so they could show a more serious side and use non-blink friendly songs. It was just a side project, not a new band.

4. Are you serious it's just Tom and Travis? No bassist? What the hell kind of side-project is this? Not because it's minus a bass player...but because it's just minus Hoppus!

Or have I misunderstood? :p :)

EDIT: NO bassist, not "Now bassist"... :oops: :p

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Tom plays the bass part. Kinda like what Creed does.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    There is another guitarist and a diffrent bass player.

7. Yea, there's another guitar player and a new bassist, jeez don't you guys watch MTV?!?! ;)

8. Oh.

9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    oh...

I didn't know about the new people...

In the beginning, I know that Tom played the bass aswell. In the beginning, it was just Tom and Travis.

Now, I don't know. I don't really care either...:p

10. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    Well regardless that I watch MTV from time to time, **** MTV! And **** whoever decided to replace MTVX with that crap Mtvjams. Isn't there enough recycled rap garbage on every other music chanel?

Another thing, why does everyone hold punk music in such high regards?

Message from Moderator: Watch the language, man!:mad:

11. The way I understood it (and I may be wrong) is that Boxcar Racer is Tom's side project. It was he who wanted to do something a bit more serious so he got together with some new guys (i.e the new guitarist and bassist) and for reasons unknown decided not to get a new drummer and just asked Travis if he would do it. I don't think it was anything against Mark.

12. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Maybe he wanted to play with some talent. :eek: ;) :cool:

13. That makes more sense, now. Sounds like Liquid Tension Experiment, eh? Mike finds a keyboardist, Mike finds a bassist, and oh no! Mike needs a guitarist! So Mike uses his guitarist.

But alas! After LTE2, keyboardist Jordan Shirinian joins Mike's band! Hmm...shall the history of similar and coincidental side projects....repeat itself?! :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D Anyway.

14. Obviously they do, in order to be such fans of Blink to begin with. :rolleyes:

~Ad

15. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    am i missing something? maybe it's just that i haven't really listened closely to "i feel so" but i didn't really recognize anything very difficult on it as far as bass is concerned. Maybe the rest of the album is different but i didn't pick up anything too crazy that Mark couldn't handle. I think Tom just wanted to do something different because he's growing up and poo poo pee pee isn't as ammusing anymore. He started a side project and got other people to so it wouldn't be the same band...but Travis is just too good, he had to do that. And he couldn't use Mark too because then people would say (even more so than now) that it was the same band. But Boxcar Racer IMO isn't anything very different. As my friend put it "wow, sounds like blink in drop d"

16. Uhh, because we like it...

17. Matt and Tim from Rancid along with Travis are doing a sideproject as well. I forgot the name of it. But Travis is quite the drumslut.

18. Here is the real reason for Boxcar Racer, straight from Tom Delonge's mouth, through my radio, into my ear.

Mark Hoppus was doing family stuff (did he become a dad recently?) and couldn't do any music stuff. Tom and Travis decided to form a side project because they had a lot of time on their hands and they felt they weren't qualified to do anything except play in a band.

SO, there is no rift between members, it's simply a side project - probably a one shot deal.

19. Cossiemon

Cossiemon

Aug 20, 2001
    The name of the band with Tim Armstrong and Travis on drums is The Transplants.