Boxcar Racer

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 20, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tom Delonges new band with Travis Barker.

IMO MUCH MUCH better than Blink 182, they will get the fans, and they will go far. I like their new song I feel so, it is much heavier than the old Blink stuff

Your thoughts?
  2. I heard their song on the radio the other day. I like it. I thought it was Blink 182 at first, because DeLonge's voice is pretty identifiable. I'm a sucker for that whole genre.. "aggressive pop", I like to call it.
  3. Not a big fan, kinda annoying for me. Still, it's cool to have a Blink side project, I think Hoppus should get one to even out things.

Also, what's up with pop-punk bands and racing? I mean, between Boxcar Racer, Hot Rod Circuit and like 3 other bands that have "race" or a "race car" motif, what gives? Its starting to become a cliche....kinda like meaningless misspelled names.
  4. I just read in Rolling Stone about another Blink side project. Travis Barker started a band called The Transplants with Tim Armstrong and Matt Freeman from Rancid, and they have an album coming out in the fall.
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    That sounds cool!
  6. That sounds very promising! Wow, honestly, that is taking the best from the *punk* genre and putting it together.
  7. i just saw boxcar racer on the tv. i liked it very much. at first i was like "?", but then i got it. very top-notch.
  8. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i just seems like a more serious blink 182.

i think if someone wanted to do a side should be very different from what they are doing now.

it would have been so much cooler to see blink 182 change to a more serious punk...instead of 2 of 3 members forming a whole new band.
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wait,,,, it's a DIFFRENT band? really? isnt that tom on vocals and guitar? and travis on drums? and isnt it the EXACT SAME MUSIC THAT BLINK PLAYS? It isnt? oh,,, my bad.:rolleyes:

I actully like blink, but that sideproject is the stupidist thing ive ever heard of.
  10. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    its the same band

same songs

same singer

same drummer

yes, they added a 2nd guitar and a different bassist - but listen to old blink and most of it sounds exactly the same way

waste of time, in my opinion
  11. They are rubbish. It is just Blink serious. I really think it was a waste of time for all concerned. I mean, Tom Delonge made this to be less commerical and more "punk roots", but in the end, he hasnt left the Blink formula, and it blows.

The Freeman, Barker Armstrong thing though, is gonna kick some ass.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No offence, but that physically hurt me to read. I do like Matt Freeman's bass playing though....
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    More or less...Tim Armstrong? Best? I guess Greg Graffin and Jello Biafra aren't in the same room, hu? :rolleyes: No offense to the guys, but there are better....
  14. I like Boxcar Racer, and the barker/armstrong thing sounds very awesome.

FYI - Tom Delonge recorded both guitar parts and the bass parts on the Boxcar Racer cd.
  15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the rest of there songs are harder.
    i think that song was to get the fans from blink to this band too.
    but they are harder than blink and somone else sings.

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i just saw the video... i dont like it... Tom voice is just annoying and the lyrics are lame

sorry, my opinion
  17. :( they are just cashing in on the emotional punk rock stuff now it is getting popular....... boxcar racer is a lame ripoff of quicksand and the like
  18. I agree, the lyrics seem to be even worse than Blink 182 lyrics..."I wish I had a cure for how people are"...brilliant, Tom. :rolleyes:
  19. Some of Blink's songs are actually pretty good and clever, in a silly, immature way, at least I think so. The new album is meh, at best.