Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boy, do I feel stupid

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    I hadn't gotten on talkbass in a little while and I missed chasarms post in my previous thread, about the bassman and bw. So I went and tested it out. I fiddled with all the settings and turned it up as loud as I could for one note(which deafened my left ear for about a day). After chasarms pointed out my blunder, I did a little research and discovered my error:oops:. I called the guy back and asked him to clarify and he said that he was mistaken. (I do live in alabama and he seemed a little slow, the guy lived way out in the country, I'm hoping that he was just ignorant about the thing like I was:oops: ) Umm well anyway I've been playing with it and it sounded fine! So just now I turned it on again and I started warming up with the start to a Fear Factory song, and the amp started making a buzzing/farting noise and I couldn't get any notes out of it. Then it stopped working altogether. I shut it off and waited, then I tried turning it back on again and now it won't turn on. I just tried turning it back on again and it's dead. What could be wrong with it?

2. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    After more examination it appears that the fuse has blown. But I was only playing at 5! With my bass turned down low. How could I have blown the fuse?

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey... if a fuse went out..... would sound not come out? or would i get a small distorted signal? WHATS A FUSE LOOK LIKE. ive never blown one before, and dont want to take my amp into the shop. not sure if thats what is wrong. but hey, just checking everything.

4. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    It's not that I don't want to. It's that I can't. My dad won't take me until he's convinced that we know what's wrong with it, and I don't know a lot about amps. I'm still new to this stuff. And I'm pretty sure you were being sarcastic, but a fuse is a small cylindrical object that takes the brunt of massive electrical input so your really important stuff like tubes won't get damaged.

5. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Well, it's either Fear Factory that the amp's objecting to ;) or

there is an electrical fault in the amplifier or the speaker circuit. I would take the unit to a technician and have it checked out. Did you buy it new? If so why not return it.

And what's the rural Alabama connection? If you bought it used you're probably on your own.

Tell your Dad the amp is unsafe and get him to take you to the retailer/the country and see if you can get your money back.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Paste a link to your other thread to minimize confusion.

I'd take it to be repaired. Old tube amps, once gone over by a quality tech, are much more reliable than people give them credit for. Anyone buying a 30 year old amp should plan a visit to a tech.

7. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Almost all the time, but thats munji's job on here my friend.

9. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Is that right. The only thing I know about Alabama is you put "Sweet Home" in front of it during the chorus.

If you can't get your money back , I'd agree with jondog and take it to a technician to be repaired.

I am no technician (in fact I'm quite rural when it comes to electronics) but I do believe that valve amps can run quite high voltages internally and you wouldn't want to be putting yourself at risk by using an unsafe amp.

From what you say I guess it could also be a problem with the Black Widow or it's wiring.

Hope you get the problem sorted.

10. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Followup

It was just a tube! I hope...I replaced the fuse and one of the tubes wasn't lighting up so I replaced that too. Now though I have another problem. The amp works well, but I have to leave it on(warmup?) for 5 or 8 minutes before it will play without having crackling, hissing, and sometimes buzzing noisess coming out of the cabinet.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That much is evident.

Hope your amp is OK.

12. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Yes, I did consider myself in my earlier comment:p

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D

A sense of humor! I like that!:)

14. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    I think you need to get this amp to an urban(e ?) technician.