Boy, this week has been interesting.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by McHack, Jul 23, 2004.

1. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Bus loads of ravenous bible thumpers have invaded the downtown area of Columbus, posting huge pictures of aborted fetuses, & spewing all kinds of hate speak about "homosexuals". Stuff like, "Them people should all be dead or rehabilitated".

How the hell, can people who are supposedly so "full of love", be soooo hateful?

Well, today its all going to culminate into an interesting scene, because a group of pro-choices are going to go confront these witch hunt, kristians today.

Faith is one thing, even witnessing is yet another. But, being so ravenously "in your face" about such things is every bit as wacko, as Osama Bin Laden & the Taliban...

Only, we've got a bunch of Osama Bin Kristians out side right now! GO HOME FREAKS!
  2. some people never get it. Jesus tells a parable about scattering seeds which is basically a warning to people that they need understand and cultivate their faith in God instead of passively accepting whatever and moving on with their lives.

it takes so much effort to truly change that a lot of people don't understand the change it takes to actually walk the talk instead doing convoluted things like condemning one sin and ignoring all the others that they themselves commit.

3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Oh, sorry Josh...

It's just that there's a bunch of raving lunatics outside, & making it really hard to even just get around the downtown area & generally being a nusance.

Not being anti-Christian or anything... I, am in fact, a Christian. But, in MY mind, its a VERY VERY personal thing, & not something I just run around throwing at people like a basketball & certainly not supposed to incite almost riotous behaviors.

I'm just relaying the events of the past couple of days around here...
  4. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    :scowl: :rollno: to raving lunatics.
  5. Have you thought about going and sharing your views with them? I'm athe Young Adult pastor at my church and I dealt with a group like that one time when we were out witnessing one time and they came up to me and started to question my relationship with God. I gave it to the guy then and made him think about his relationship instead. In actuality, they are doing more harm than good and not helping anybody. It all comes down to our relationship with God and conveying that through our actions, not how well we can criticize people and telling them they are going to hell.

Sorry for the whole soapbox thing and I'm not trying to make this a religious thread, just sharing my opinion.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    *takes 10 foot pole and runs away screaming*

brad cook
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Great views, refined... Of course, I've THOUGHT about it. But, like Brad,, I shy away from it, I'll explain why.

On the upside, the opposition never showed up. It was only a rumor, being spread by these militant weirdos, to get attention. The OTHER upside is, because they tried hard to get everyone all wound up, the local Columbus police showed up IN FORCE, quelling just about anyone/everyone from "joining in the festivities".
  8. One of my brothers is like that. He refuses to talk to me, because during an argument we had about homosexuals getting married. His opinion was that they should be beheaded. That really pushed me over the edge and I said some things.......but christians like that , need to meet jesus.
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Many people claim to be Christains but they always seem to skip over the four most important books in the Bible.

10. It's good that the opposition didn't show up with you. In the situation I described earlier, the opposition showed up with my group and all that happened was people kept walking by and staring. I know they were thinking, "Stinkin' Christians don't even know what they are talkin' about, so now they're fighting over their views. I don't want any part of that!!!" So, when I noticed that I politely walked off, I never yelled at the guy, but he sure didn't want to hear what I had to say. It was his way or the highway. Last time I checked, I thought it was Jesus' way. We were there to hand out tracts and to try and build relationships with people and be friendly. The way a true christian should act. We're here to help and encourage, not to judge.

Quote from Liquid Midnight--"Many people claim to be Christains but they always seem to skip over the four most important books in the Bible."

Hey Midnight, which 4 books you talkin' about?? I thought all of 'em were important. J/K :p
  11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    You should ditch the facade and become an atheist like me. In fact, everyone should be like me, because I am better than you. Bow down to your new dictator, Dr. Flaps, Jesus is small time.
  12. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    C'MON MCHACK! Have JMX move this to the lobby where it belongs! Then we can really tear into it! :hyper:
  13. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

14. I agree that these type of people have corrupted Christianity just as much as Bin Laden has corrupted Islam.

I know people who think that religion is a terrible force that has led to the murder of hundreds of millions of people over the course of history. I'm not very religious myself, but I think it is a shame that many people feel this way. Religion is not bad, people are. I believe that every religion, in its true spirit, is a very positive thing, however, they are all subject to corruption (often intentional corruption in order to serve political purposes but that is another issue).

Jesus says 'love your neighbor', and people interpret it as 'love your neighbor...unless he thinks, acts, or looks different from you. In that case, kill him'.
  15. The only thing worse than a self-righteous Christian is a self-righteous atheist. :D :)
  16. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

You had the balls to say what I did not. However it doesn't matter as this thread will be lost to me once it gets moved.
  17. I despise the actions of those Ku Klux Kristians. As a christian myself, it doesn't just sicken me, it saddens me. It's ok to disagree with these things, but its not just what you say, its how you say it. I don't agree with abortion, but I don't go around showing pictures of aborted fetuses to people and say (or in some cases, even believe in) things like "Take comfort that your aborted child is burning in hell right now" (which I have heard someone say before)

God save us.
  18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

What was the name of that Jethro Tull song

Oh, father high in heaven ...

I forget now ...
  19. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Speaking as a Christian who happens to be pro-life, I hate this stuff. I told off some hate monger a while back who was holding up a horrible sign in front of a local restaurant. I felt like kicking him but I thought the better of it. It really makes me sick.
  20. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Isn't it amazing that some people behave like this? I've seen and heard some of the same things that you have. It must be noted that these are perversions of Christianity and in no way reflect on what scripture really says.

I guess my question is, does this work? Do people actually get saved infront of abortion clinics because of behavior like this? Do people respond well to these tactics? The way in which some people choose to show the love of Christ is amazing to me.