Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boy, was I wrong about ProSteels!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I got a bass from a TB'er a while back, and it had ProSteels on it. I didn't really care for the sound, and I characterized them as very bright and deep but lacking in midrange. I'm thinking it's the sound of the bass I didn't like, 'cause I just put a new set on my Tobias, and boy howdy, what a sound! Bright and deep, yes, but with great midrange character as well. Waaaay better than those miserable (and free) Elixirs I had on there. My testing of Elixirs is finished. Didn't take long, either.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

This brings up an interesting point: a string set that sounds fantastic on one bass might sound weak/dull/thin/whatever on another.

So, I suggest hanging on to your Elixirs... maybe you could try 'em on another bass sometime. (Easy for me to say: all my basses right now are 34" with a 4+1 tuner configuration!)

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
  4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Dissent on pro steels. I tried 'em and thought they were SOOOO bottom heavy, I couldn't hear anything else useful. I'll stick with Thomastiks...both superalloys and jazz flats.