1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boy, was I wrong about ProSteels!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I got a bass from a TB'er a while back, and it had ProSteels on it. I didn't really care for the sound, and I characterized them as very bright and deep but lacking in midrange. I'm thinking it's the sound of the bass I didn't like, 'cause I just put a new set on my Tobias, and boy howdy, what a sound! Bright and deep, yes, but with great midrange character as well. Waaaay better than those miserable (and free) Elixirs I had on there. My testing of Elixirs is finished. Didn't take long, either.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

This brings up an interesting point: a string set that sounds fantastic on one bass might sound weak/dull/thin/whatever on another.

So, I suggest hanging on to your Elixirs... maybe you could try 'em on another bass sometime. (Easy for me to say: all my basses right now are 34" with a 4+1 tuner configuration!)

3. +1 pro steels

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    x2 Pro Steels

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Dissent on pro steels. I tried 'em and thought they were SOOOO bottom heavy, I couldn't hear anything else useful. I'll stick with Thomastiks...both superalloys and jazz flats.