1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boyd Coddington, Hot Rod King, Dies At Age 63

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nbw, Feb 27, 2008.

1. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    link
    [​IMG]

2. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Wow, I loved his show and his hotrods. He was so young!!

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow... Didn't see this one coming. For his age he seemed very fit and healthy, I wouldn't have expected him to die any time soon. This is quite a shock. I must admit I've never really liked the guys attitude, I've watched his TV show a few times and he comes across as a bit of a tool, but nether the less it's a sad day for rodders, he was a legend and I'm sure he'll be missed. RIP. :(

4. I feel the same, with all the "mock tension" and "last minute miracles" formula that ran rampant on the show every episode, but yeah, besides all that, he had good vision and creativity... RIP Boyd.

5. Just illustrates that no matter how much success you attain your health is what matters most. Sad story he was successful and still young relatively speaking. RIP Boyd and Roll on!

6. RIP Boyd Coddington.

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, to be honest I was quite surprised when I watched the show, and there are all these problems in the construction process, some of them sorted out and some of them kinda "temporarily fixed" and shoved away. Out of sight out of mind it seems.

Still, his cars ended up looking cool. Whether they performed as well as they looked or stood the test of time would be interesting.

8. Same way I felt about his show cars, as I felt with the OCC show bikes...all show but flasy paint hiding sometimes less than stellar work. THAT show, eesh, same formula

"Dad, I'm working onit"

"Work faster"

*kick door*

Ok, well we can't have things back from paint until Friday and we need the build Wednesday"

*punch window*

*obligatory "relieve tension/ bonding" fun activity montage footage with life lesson thrown in*

"Hey, paint pulled an all nighter and we actually miraculously got the parts a week before we even ordered them...how'd that happen?"

HoooooraY!

"Mikey, you're useless"

*kick kung-fu mannequin over swearing bleeped*

Show off bike with cool glasses and facial topiary, big parade...

end.

9. ubado

ubado Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    This is a HUGE loss for the Custom Car building industry. :(

RIP Boyd... he will be missed.

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    LOL Mon. That's pretty much what happens in every car show. :)

I quite like Overhaulin'. Theres not too much of that;

"OMG DEADLINE IS TOMORROW AND PARTS AREN'T HERE AND ITS 2AM AND WE'VE BEEN UP ALL NIGHT TRYING TO GET IT DONE."

"The great guys at _____ got the parts to us first thing in the morning, and we were able to assemble the car just with a few hours to spare before _____ came to pick it up."

Also seeing them screw around with the minds of the owner is funny. :D

And that chick is HOT. :eek:

11. I loved his work, hated the show. Could you imagine spending that kind of money on a custom car an having those shop monkeys building it?? :rolleyes: I'm suprised he had any customers left after the first season.

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    +1

It's interesting to see how many guys actually defected from HIS shop, to go work for Chip Foose. Also, I really didnt care for how Boyd let his "wife" have free reign in the shop. SHE wasn't the visionary, BOYD was...

As boring & predicable as the format was, I always enjoyed watching the craftsmanship... & seeing the end result. The very first time I saw Mrs Boyd wear the pants, I lost all respect. Specifically, there was an episode, where they hired a VERY talented new worker, who happened to be a girl. Mrs Boyd had a hissy fit, & the girl was fired the next day.

*Lost a viewer*

13. I feel bad that he died but I didn't like his work or his way of running a business. I stopped watching the show after a few episodes when his staff was either fired or jumped ship. The show that I stopped watching when they had a contest between an employee and Boyd fixing up Model Ts...Boyd chopped the top and ruined a Model T and the young guy was later fired.

14. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    WOW. I've followed Boyd for a long time(since Cadzzilla) and really admired his work. I didn't care for some of his styling and color palate, but he did great work. I wonder what Chip Foose has to say? R.I.P Boyd.

15. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    +1

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've never heard Chip a single bad thing about Boyd, & will have nothing but the kindest words, & praise...

17. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    There's nothing on his site and Boyd's site is down.

18. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I remember hearing about Boyd back in the 80's when I lived in So Cal, working at a restoration shop. High turn over is pretty typical for those kind of shops. The pay usually isn't that great. You've got to love doing that kind of work to stick with it, otherwise you can make 2-3 times as much at a collision shop. The kind of pressure those guys are under for the show is riduculous. It can take months or years to build cars like those. The deadlines are what makes the show in the producers mind. Still I watch them all because it takes me back...

19. You cannot blame Foose for breaking out on his own. I think Boyd was the one with hard feelings, not Chip. Chip is also a visionary in his own way. I actually like what he does better. More functional, more performance oriented.

20. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Not to speak ill of the dead but I thought Boyd to be a rude jerk. Met him once and that's all it took for me not to like him.

However, I still hate to see anyone pass at such an early age and I'm sure his friends and family are hurting so I can feel for them.