1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bozeman Bass & Amp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Donny Young, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Donny Young

Donny Young

Jun 4, 2012
    We need to rent a quality upright bass (with adjustable bridge) and amp to use on July 30, 31 and Aug 1 shows in Bozeman, MT area. Please contact us via email if you have an instrument. I will check back at the forum to see if anyone posted any ideas or suggestions.
    Thanks!!
    The Quebe Sisters Band
    info@quebesistersband.com
    http://www.quebesistersband.com/

2. Hello Donny,

I have 3 old American plywoody basses, amp, speaker, cables, etc. that I would be happy to set you up with :) . I live in Bozeman about 5 blocks from your first show on the 30th at The Ellen Theatre. I was planning on coming to the show and it would be nice to hear you playing one of my basses.

I have a '40 Kay, a '49 American Standard, and a '59 Epiphone. While none of them are awesome carved orchestral basses ;) ... They are all fine-sounding basses that have been professionally re-worked and set up nicely by Luthier Jake deVillers. They all have adjustable bridges and pick-ups. If you do any bowing, you might want to bring your own bow, quiver, and rosin. The Kay has Innovation 140H strings that bow well but the Gamut Pistoy guts G & D and Velvet Anima / Garbo A & E strings on the Epi and AS would be more of a challenge to bow. You could also bring your own favorite strings and we could swap out the strings on the Kay.

I have a 2-channel AI Coda combo amp with direct out and a 4 ohm EA Wizzy M-Line speaker that sound pretty-darn-good with plenty of punch with any of the basses. I could round up one of those nice little clip-on DPA mini-condensor mics from one of the fiddlers I play with if you want to mix pick-up and mic.

Let me know .... You could come over to the house a couple hours before the show and test-drive the basses and pick your favorite.

I don't do cash bass rentals. I have loaned my basses out a number of times to traveling bassists and if I accepted any money, I might incur some unforeseen weird bass karma :D . But .... I do like free tickets to shows and CDs ;) .

3. Donny Young

Donny Young

Jun 4, 2012
    Thanks so much, wow - we are very appreciative and will be proud to play one of the basses at the show. Definitely will connect via email to work out the details and happy to provide tickets, cds and a shout out too!

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Very cool. TBDB kind of kicks ass some times, don't it?

5. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    ...and sometimes TBDB needs a "like/love" button.

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Yeah, that's a very generous offer! Some really nice basses there too! :D Nice going, Bob.

7. You ought to know Jake .... Your fingerprints and craftsmanship are all-over the 3 basses :D !! Renee The American Standard I just got back from you in June at the Cashmere Washington bluegrass festival is settling in nicely and getting louder each time I play her. Sweet bass :smug: .

8. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    Glad that you and Renee are getting along so well!

9. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Hey John, its too bad you didn't get to play that bass with the new fingerboard etc. and the Gamut guts: what a huge sounding bass, really satisfying to play. ;)

10. Long time no see John :) . Thanks for selling Renee to me. She might not be the prettiest old redhead in the saloon ;) but she is ready and willing to fool around for another 60 years now that Jake has done his work.

Jake removed the neck, chiseled off the old FB (nasty glue ... a lot of work), inlaid a carbon fiber reinforcement rod, installed a new fat ebony FB, and reset / re-glued / doweled the neck joint. She is a solid citizen now :D .

Jake also did a new endpin assembly, 1/16" SS tailgut cable, new soundpost, and new nut. The new adj bridge stained and waxed to match Renee's ruddy complexion is a work of art. The Gamut Pistoy G & D and Velvet Garbo A & E strings seem to bring out the best in the bass. I played it for 2 hours last night in a jam .... no pains, no blisters, no sweat. Jake's set-up is sweet.

We will have to have another Bass-O-Rama in Seattle sometime (photo at the bottom of Jake's website ... http://www.thebassspa.com/ ). I would like you to get to play Renee again sometime since I know that you logged a lot of quality playing time on the American Standard before you sold it to me and upgraded your bass. I secretly lusted :p after the bass the first time I saw it 3 years ago and as fate would have it ....

So far this thread has included 4 of the usual suspects that were at Troy's house 3 years ago. Now we just need to hear from Dwight, Maiken, and Al :) .

11. robgator

robgator Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Urbana, Illinois
    This goes to prove how much Bob is The Man. I posted a similar message on TB a few years back and Bob responded with a very kind offer to borrow his upright & am at no cost. Now, after three tours in MT, I have borrowed his gear a few times, and the best thing is that we have become good friends. In fact, he toured with our band last summer and did a terrific job playing upright. The world is a better place with people like Bob K.

Thanks!

Rob Krumm
    Urbana, IL
    Bass & guitar, Dennis Stroughmatt & L'Esprit Creole

12. Tommy Jackson

Tommy Jackson

Aug 9, 2012
    Just a note to thank Bob for his generosity in providing access to his fleet of basses for our recent Bozeman performances. Not only did Bob loan us a very fine bass & amp, he delivered the first class rig to our hotel as well. Nice to have a new friend in Bozeman, if we can return the favor please let us know!!
    The QSB - TX

13. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Bob is a good man! Which bass did you end up borrowing?

14. Thanks Rob. Congrats on the L'Esprit Creole gigs at The Smithsonian Folklife Festival and The Kennedy Center. You folks are getting around ;) . I hope you can make it back to MT next year. I had a blast playing the 5 gigs in WA, ID, and MT with you last summer. I have to admit that the gig at the "naturists resort" was the most bizarre gig I have ever had on bass. Up until that gig I had been working hard to break my bad habit of looking at my left hand and my fingerboard but on that gig the safest and least-scary place for me to look was my fingerboard :D !

Oh, I'm not-so-sure about that Rob. I know a few people who would be happy to debate that with you :bag: .

I have no idea who the original poster "Donny Young" and the later "Tommy Jackson" are. Next time he will maybe post as "Jimmy Jefferson" :D . I will assume I am writing to Gavin, the bass player for The Quebe Sisters Band. You are very welcome. You can borrow my gear anytime.

The QSB show at the historic 1919 Ellen Theatre was the best show I have seen there. The Sisters are wonderful fiddlers and harmony singers. Joey is a great rhythm guitar player. I am a big fan of jazz swing, Texas swing, and Bob Wills music.

I was mesmerized by your left and right hand speed, dexterity, proficiency, and efficiency. Your high-bpm melodic walking and use of the whole fingerboard was inspiring. I was even more amazed when Joey introduced you as the newest Quebe sister :cool: and said that was your first job with the band. You looked like you were having a lot of fun up there on stage. I talked to a number of folks that attended the concert that are now big fans of yours. Usually bass players don't get much love and recognition ... not true in this case.

I was pretty-sure you didn't learn to play double bass like that from watching DVDs and u-tube clips and asking stupid questions on TalkBass (like self-taught yours truly) :p so I did some googling. I don't mean to embarrass you but .... Congratulations on taking up double bass in high school and going on to graduate Summa Cum Laude in Double Bass Performance from UNT in 2011. You are just a pup and I believe you will have a long and highly successful career as a double bassist. Any jazz, classical, Texas swing, whatever ... ensemble would be fortunate to have you on bass.

You could do me a big favor by coming back to Bozeman with QSB to The Ellen Theatre again next year and borrowing my gear :) .

15. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Better this gig on the doublebass than on the trumpet!

16. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    ...well, you are right MT, a gig is a gig;)....the farther away from the educational aspect, the better imho...or maybe the new old time style musicians do need to have an expensive education as well phantom keystroke reading ability to come up to the challenge of playing Sally "Goodin" and the like... :D

17. Solid Comment PC :) ! Especially the "the farther away from the educational aspect, the better" part. That may become My Oath. I am too-old to go to College for Double Bass now ;). However, I sure-do like some "education" on the key and whether the upcoming song/tune has any 2m, 3m, 6m, flat-7 changes before-hand from the folks I play with before the song/tune starts :p . I don't want them to quack-out all the changes during the start-up .... I just want to know what chords to look for and trust my ears from then-on.

The "a gig is a gig" comment is a bit callous in this case. The College Boy seemed like he was having a Big Time and he smiled a lot. Who wouldn't .... Playing bass with 3 gorgeous fiddler champions / singing Gals from Texas :hyper: . If I was him .... I would keep that job as long as possible.

Funny you should mention "Sally Goodin". One of The Quebe Sisters (Hulda) and Joey McKenzie on guitar did that one without the rest of The Band. It was hot :D . Don't dis-respect the pup Gavin (with a Bass Education) ... He did a different old-time fiddle tune with the group and he was right-on and had "the old feel." And he did not need to consult any paper on the floor in front of him with the "phantom keystrokes" listed :D .

18. I will jump-in here. Maybe Gavin will post his impressions but I know he is busy with QSB. I would love to hear his impressions.

Jake .... The Band asked me for whatever I thought was my best bass. I delivered the 1959 Kalamazoo-Gibson-Epiphone with gamut pistoy G & D and velvet A & E to their hotel along with my amp and wizzy speaker.

I told him if he did not like it .... I had a couple others. I never heard-nuthin-negative-back :p . Reds The Epiphone sounded great at the Bozeman Show I attended .... That had a lot to do with The Bass Operator on-stage ... Then it went to 2 other MT gigs and then I got my bass back ... End Of Story.

19. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Okay - so the Epiphone is still your favourite! ;)

20. Yah-Shure You Betcha Jake :bassist: . You Canadians may know how to fix Basses but you really need to learn .... Minneazota / Monatana American Speelin Langiuage :D ... What's with that Canadian "favourite" spelling ???? :spit: .

Yep .... Thyee-Oldee '59 Gibson-Epiphone is my "FAV" ..... You done a good-job.

Now I need to get-back to watching Season 2 of "Justified" ... Friggin' awesome series .... KMA.