Bozo or Mojo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassHappy, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Ok, so I pulled the trigger on this today and it is on it's way to my doorstep from Japan. I fell in love with the trans black, over the nice grain of the swamp ash - and it seems to be in pretty great shape - even though this puppy is over 25 years old. I don't have a P/J combination pickup setup on any of my basses - and I have also never owned a bass with gold hardware - and have never been partial to it - although it seems to me to look rather attractive on this bass.

$(KGrHqV,!rUFHNmJOmPUBR8NZDb!+w~~60_57.jpg

182012417_624.v1373441789.jpg

182014115_624.v1373712826.jpg

$(KGrHqJ,!rgFHpQJLvBrBR8NZMEs8w~~60_57.jpg

So, here is the question - the original owner never took the paper off the rear plastic cavity cover. So is there mojo in this worn paper? Am I a bozo for wanting to take it off?

$T2eC16F,!yME9s5qE+uTBR8NZI4wK!~~60_57.jpg

Let's hear the comments as you see fit.

Best,

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

2. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Feb 20, 2013
    An instrument is an instrument, the mojo is in your fingers and playing, not in the stick your playing on. Especially not in a cavity cover. JMHO

3. I say leave it as is. Congratulations! That is really a great finish.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I'm sorry, I can't get past the apparent Micro-Tilt on an asymmetric neck pocket. :eek:

I'm amazed.

5. Yeah, don't touch that. I wouldn't touch the paper but wouldn't look at you funny if you did. Sweet bass.

6. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Nice looking bass.

Rip that paper off.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Trust me when I tell you that paper is ON THERE, it's not going to just peel off. Your going to need some type of adhesive remover(goof-off, goo-gone, etc), sometimes warm water will work as well if you soak it.

I'm not sure whether I would leave it or not, I'd have to see and feel it in person first. If/when you do remove it just be careful not to scratch the cover trying to scrape it off.

8. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    that's bozo mojo! I say keep it.

As mentioned above it's probably not going to come off without some struggle that could damage the cover. If it bugs you see if you can get a replacement made & keep the original somewhere.

9. I wouldn't bother.

10. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Leave it, it's load bearing paper! You don't want your bass to fall apart do you?

11. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    That would bug me to have it on there. I would put it in a plastic bag with a lot of Goo-Gone for a day, or two, and then peel it off.

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I second that. I had some very old plexiglas plastic with paper that was petrified onto it like that. I can tell you if you try to scratch it off all you do is scratch the plastic underneath no matter how careful you try.

Eventually I went with goo gone in low flat trays and soaked the pieces until it came loose. May take longer than you think but does a perfect job.

On the other hand leaving the paper on does protect it for posterity if you ever want to restore later.

13. Thanks so much for all the responses...

And the kind words....

Here are a couple more shots of it:

182013022_624.v1373438645.gif

182013660_624.v1374043574.gif

I figured it was probably "petrified" on there and would need some special attention to remove without any damage.

I appreciate the suggestions...Not familiar with goo gone and the others but they sound like great ideas.

Have to wait until I get it to make the determination as yes, a part of me likes the contrast of the tan-ish color next to the neck color. I am like 51 - 49 in favor of removal but we will see.

Best to the groove merchants...

BassHappy

14. +1

Cavity cover comment made me laugh.

Regarding the bass, I'm not a Fender guy (mainly for technical reasons), but I reckon that thing looks dope. Black body and gold hardware is a very winning combination IMO.

15. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Roadworn mojo. Don't touch it. The tone is in the paper.

16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I wouldn't bother taking it off, but I can understand if you'd want to.

17. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    If you decide to take it off, just spray some WD-40 on a rag and rub it on the paper. It'll come off without much effort. Start at the end where it's already started to wear off.

I had a new old stock P-Bass one time that had sat unsold in a store for years. The plastic on the pickguard had started bubbling and breaking up. I couldn't peel it off. An employee at another music store told me about the WD-40 on a rag trick. It came off easily.

18. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I'd take it off if it were mine. It looks kinda out if place on that nice of a body, however I don't think it's a huge deal if you leave it on. Cool bass! Never seen those before!

19. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    The rest of the bass looks great, I mean really great. Take that ugly freaking stuff off of the cover, man. It's like a tumor on a beautiful woman's face. ACK! It's horror film material, man. Get rid of it!

:D

20. I'm really curious to hear what you think of the tone of those fender-logo pickups. I have a precision pickup identical to that which I picked up in a trade and has been sitting waiting for a use... I've read that these basses could be very mid-forward and therefore a unique tone compared to traditional precisions or jazzes, but I've read of huge name musicians like andy fairweather-low playing one with roger waters live (although who knows if it had stock pickups or not).... so who knows.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021