Bozo or Mojo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassHappy, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Like ma4rk said. Take it off, tuck it away, put on a replacement cover.

What's that "Mico Tilt" comment about? What am I missing?

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would get rid of the plastic and just use the cover. It will in no way ever add to the value of the bass in the future. It may take a lot of work to get rid of it though.

3. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    I think it looks cool as **** as-is. I'd leave it on. Great score, BTW.

4. Since Bongolation hasn't yet been back, and you asked.....

The microtilt is a neck angle adjustment that you can make through the hole in the neck plate, note the hole.

Here is the neck plate of the bass:

182013577_624.v1373518432.jpg

And here you can see the micro tilt adjuster:

182029945_624.v1374772878.jpg

Best,

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

5. Its the best paper for metal - leave it on

6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I, for once, am at a loss for words to describe how UTTERLY SMOKIN' that axe is!!! That is a sublime thing of beauty. Just one question…who's first-born child did you have to promise to get that?!

My vote is to leave it as is. Surprisingly, I think it gives a bit of character to a bass that's already oozing with character. But if you do decide to apply any chemicals to it, remove it first. WD-40 is a powerful corrosive. Goo Gone, not so much, but anything that can break down adhesives is going to be corrosive as well. And if you don't want to fuss with chemicals, send it off somewhere to be reproduced. I know Terrapin Guitars does replacements, and I'm sure there are others as well.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That is one superb-looking bass! I'd lose the paper, and I'd let it soak in Goo Gone for a while to do it. No scraping.

8. After a lot of thought, I think the best solution is to have a new black cover made and keep this one as is. That way I can swap them out accordingly, and if I ever sell it - I will have the original to include with the bass.

Thanks so much to all for the kind words and the great suggestions! It is very much appreciated!

BassHappy

9. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Thanks, BassHappy.

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think your bass takes the same cover as just about any "Contemporary" series bass(it is exactly like mine). While they're not too common in the US, the shops in Japan may be able to supply you with one pretty easily.