BP200 + Tweeter + lots of distortion = BAD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Hi,

Until my xs800h arrives, I am borrowing a Carvin DCM2000. This is a straight power amp, with my multi effects BP200 pedal as the pre amp. I read on another thread that lots of distortion and high levels of volume can break a tweeter.

I have a Bag End cab with a built in tweeter inside one of the speakers.

Question 1: How do tweeters work, and what are tweeters? Is there a way to turn off a tweeter or if you have a cab with a tweeter does the tweeter automatically play?

My xs800h didn't say anything about tweeters, does that mean it doesn't use the tweeter?

Question 2: Is there a way to turn off the tweeter? I don't really see any advantages of using a tweeter when I am playing very loud very heavy distortion other then the worry about it breaking on me.

p.s. Up until this point I am staying away from heavy distrotion until I know how to avoid breaking the tweeter. :help:

2. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Is there a knob on the back of that cab that says L-Pad or Attenuator? I just started using my BP200 again last nite at practice with my SWR/SOB 1x15 cab. There is a knob on back of my cab that allows me turn tweeter off or dial it up to full on. I have the tweeter up around 1/4 cause it was farting out with my BP 200 pedal last time I used it a few months ago. Now I have the EQ flat on my GK 1001 amp and check your gain and level settings on the BP200. I had my settings dialed up way too much before and that was a problem. Then again I also used my passive bass last nite instead of one of my active basses not sure but this may have helped and we were at practice volumes. Also, do a search using BP 200 there was some discussion on here awhile back. I don't like the tweeters in my cabs either so at gig volumes I usually turn them off or close to it.

3. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    There is absolutly no dial to turn the tweeter on or off. I seem to recall the person who sold it to me that the tweeter kicks on automatically when its needed and isn't something you can turn on and off.

I know for a fact my cab does have a tweeter, as it's stated in the specs of my cab.

Now what do I do?

4. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Ivan Mike HELP!

5. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    bump

6. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    bumper x 2 4 U. Yeah c'mon IV-Mike, I know you can help Spec-Ed out. Up late last nite were you? And Spec-Ed, don't forget to look into those pedal settings like I suggested. Helped me get rid of my gas, that is speaker farting. Good luck. IV-Mike, YOU OUT THERE SON! :hyper:

7. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Hey friend, there is nothing on my cab that would allow me to turn the tweeter off. I wish it had an on off knob like yours does. That is one thing I do not like about my cab.

My cab sounds fine with tons of distortion, I just am afraid I will break the tweeter at high volumes.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lol
    hi there
    bag end's tweet is a coxial one in one of the drivers an di belive it is titanium. no attenuator available. IME distortion wont harm a tweeter at all, (ever notice pa's and home stereo's don't keep blowing tweeters even when playing death metal?). It is true that sometimes distortion can sound a bit harsh thru a tweet, but that's largely a matter of taste. i think you should have no prob.