Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BP200 + Tweeter + lots of distortion = BAD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Hi,

Until my xs800h arrives, I am borrowing a Carvin DCM2000. This is a straight power amp, with my multi effects BP200 pedal as the pre amp. I read on another thread that lots of distortion and high levels of volume can break a tweeter.

I have a Bag End cab with a built in tweeter inside one of the speakers.

Question 1: How do tweeters work, and what are tweeters? Is there a way to turn off a tweeter or if you have a cab with a tweeter does the tweeter automatically play?

My xs800h didn't say anything about tweeters, does that mean it doesn't use the tweeter?

Question 2: Is there a way to turn off the tweeter? I don't really see any advantages of using a tweeter when I am playing very loud very heavy distortion other then the worry about it breaking on me.

p.s. Up until this point I am staying away from heavy distrotion until I know how to avoid breaking the tweeter. :help:

2. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Is there a knob on the back of that cab that says L-Pad or Attenuator? I just started using my BP200 again last nite at practice with my SWR/SOB 1x15 cab. There is a knob on back of my cab that allows me turn tweeter off or dial it up to full on. I have the tweeter up around 1/4 cause it was farting out with my BP 200 pedal last time I used it a few months ago. Now I have the EQ flat on my GK 1001 amp and check your gain and level settings on the BP200. I had my settings dialed up way too much before and that was a problem. Then again I also used my passive bass last nite instead of one of my active basses not sure but this may have helped and we were at practice volumes. Also, do a search using BP 200 there was some discussion on here awhile back. I don't like the tweeters in my cabs either so at gig volumes I usually turn them off or close to it.

3. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    There is absolutly no dial to turn the tweeter on or off. I seem to recall the person who sold it to me that the tweeter kicks on automatically when its needed and isn't something you can turn on and off.

I know for a fact my cab does have a tweeter, as it's stated in the specs of my cab.

Now what do I do?

4. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
  5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    bumper x 2 4 U. Yeah c'mon IV-Mike, I know you can help Spec-Ed out. Up late last nite were you? And Spec-Ed, don't forget to look into those pedal settings like I suggested. Helped me get rid of my gas, that is speaker farting. Good luck. IV-Mike, YOU OUT THERE SON! :hyper:

6. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Hey friend, there is nothing on my cab that would allow me to turn the tweeter off. I wish it had an on off knob like yours does. That is one thing I do not like about my cab.

My cab sounds fine with tons of distortion, I just am afraid I will break the tweeter at high volumes.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lol
    hi there
    bag end's tweet is a coxial one in one of the drivers an di belive it is titanium. no attenuator available. IME distortion wont harm a tweeter at all, (ever notice pa's and home stereo's don't keep blowing tweeters even when playing death metal?). It is true that sometimes distortion can sound a bit harsh thru a tweet, but that's largely a matter of taste. i think you should have no prob.