Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bucephylus, Mar 21, 2005.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Has anyone else noticed that the BP8 prices on eBay have started going up? I'm not big on effects necessarily, but had been thinking of checking one of these out - for EQ, volume and tuner basically. However, I've now lost several auctions, since the bidding has been getting more competitive, closing around $140. What happened? Seems to me these used to auction off around $100. Is some new hot shot using them and made a big deal about it in the guitar rags?
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    They've been around $150 for the past 5 years.

Maybe a few went for cheap due to the "time of the year"
    (i.e., Christmas Season).
  3. Maybe players are coming to the realization as to how easy to setup and just plain good the BP-8 is. The new stuff may do more efx and have more bells and whistles but that tube preamp is hard to beat with a digital sim.
  4. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Lucky i got mine when i did eh? ;) im thinking about upgrading the valve to .... what was it called?

i saw a bp8 on ebay for $32
  5. darthpony

Mar 17, 2005
    South Africa
    I actually sold my BP8 after I got the GT6B. Heh.
  6. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    my bp8 (1999!) has recently become "disagreeable" in the studio. I attribute this to road-wear, etc.

Anyone know where I can get a rackmount Bass Pod on the cheap :meh: ?????
  7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    So, I grabbed one of these by a circuitous route somewhat involving eBay, and so far, it seems pretty OK. Most of the material I play is straight up R&B/Blues/classic rock & a little jazz; and doesn't call for a whole lot of effects. So, I'm certainly a beginner on effects, my last experience being playing an old Vox wah and MuTron (original) phaser back in ahhhh 1975, and deciding that kind of thing wasn't for me.

That said, what I did was tool through the presets, laugh at most of them, proceed to the User Banks and Program up a basic Preamp at 70% Output and copy that to the next pedal at 85% for solo boost. The basic Preamp sounds as good or better than a lot of the other tube preamps I have used; and that is set flat. So, this, at least, seems good. My next step will be to dial in some EQ to see what that does. From my reading, it is semi-paramteric, maybe a bit like on the Woods front ends. My thinking is to use the two preamp only settings duplicated on the rest of the User banks and then add in chorus/phase effects or whatever on the other pedals; so, that I've always got the pure stuff on the same bank. Anyway, I'm learning.

I've read some things on other threads that the BP's are junk and for beginners etc. I can't speak for what the quality of the effects are; but, so far, I have found the basic preamp tone to be useful, and the User banks are pretty easy to program. The presets are a joke.
  8. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Aye, the presets are ****ing stupid.

I've been using mine a lot lately(been playing for the dark side for a while) but im back in to noodling about on bass and effects.