Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BQC System Installation Problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Groove Theory, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Okay, so I'm installing a BQC system in my bass and while I'm soldering it all up, the plate that the neck pickup wire is soldered to separates from the board...attached is a picture of the problem, is there any way to fix this? or somewhere that I can get the balance board only? I've e-mailed the EMG tech people, but haven't heard back from them yet....any suggestions? :help:

2. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    First of all, you need to refine your soldering technique, the most likely reason why the pad lifted up is that you made it too hot, you need to let your iron get fairly hot and then only let it touch the joint for a few seconds, that's all you should need.

As for a fix, you best bet it to try and solder the wire directly to the component pin sticking through the board right above the broken solder pad, the pin with light green line connecting it the part that lifted up.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

When did EMG start making stuff in Mexico?

4. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Hey, why shouldn't EMG be allowed to hop the NAFTA train? The real question should be: What ISN'T made in Mexico??? (Ok, that ISN'T made in China, that is!) Now quit griping and get back to your menial service job! ;)

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I'd wait till EMG gets back to you. They are generally good about getting back on technical issues.

6. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Yeah, EMG basically said I was screwed and that I could buy a new balance pot, but that it could not be repaired.

I also thought about soldering a wire to the 2 joints where the circuit board would have connected if I had not screwed it up...I was also wondering if it would be possible to just totally remove the balance board, and wire the remaining bass/treble/mid EQ pots w/ 2 Volume pots (which I have) the same as you would with the BQC Control?

as for my soldering technique, I totally agree, I hate electronic work, its the worst part of a project, and I think its about time I get a new soldering iron, the one I'm using looks like it was made in about 1950, and recently I've been questioning how reliable it is. :D anyways, I know it was my fault, I'm not blaming EMG by any means, I just want to fix it.

Any additional help would be much appreciated, I really dont want to have to go buy another balance board.

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I'll look at mine when I get home and I'll let you know what I think.

8. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Right on! That'd help out alot.

I should also mention the complete setup its used with, incase that would help at all...its a custom built bass, setup w/a EMG 35-CS in the neck position and a 35-DC in the Bridge position. I've got it wired for 18v. Also, the idea of having 2 volume pots as opposed to 1 volume and 1 balance pot, does not bother me at all, if it is possible. So, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

to my knowledge, the BQC control is simply the system without the blend and I used the control with EMG active PJ's and J's and it worked fine. Personally, I prefer two volumes over a blend.

10. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Thats what I was thinking, I just didnt know if the "system" EQ pots were made any different than the "control" pots...I doubt that they are any different, but I thought I should ask before I do any irrepairable damage as this is my first venture using EMG's...

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    nope. As luknfur said, the major difference is the included blend pot for active pups

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the cheap soldering irons at radio shack work fine. Bart recommends using no more than a 25 watt iron. I use a 15 watt for everything but grounds to pot backs (50 watt there). Even the cheap guns often couple with a small and large tip and the large tip can be used to solder pot backs on the smaller watt guns - but swapping tips gets old and it's more practical to have two guns. Quality solder and a long, clean, pointed tip make soldering much easier. Just remember a low watt iron kept in contact for a long time will do more damage than a 50 watt used momentarily. I actually use copper sheilding for grounding pots instead of wires to pot backs now cuase I was never comfortable with the heat required to solder to a pot back - plus it's more work, wire clutter, and more garbage to go wrong.

But your old gun is probably fine and you just may need a smaller tip or more experience. It doesn't take state of the art equipment to solder basic electronics.

13. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree, even a chap iron can produce quite acceptable results, just make sure it's hot before trying to use it, it should be hot enough that it instantly melts any solder off the roll that touches it.

14. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    No wonder, my ancient iron states "100-140 watts" heheh...thats probably the problem right there :D (obviously coupled with inexperience) ....I'll probably go buy a lower wattage one, I'd hate to screw one of the other pots up...plus it has had problems being able to heat up lately so its probably all for the best....
    I think I'm going to re-wire it up w/ 2 volume pots and just get rid of the blend...like the BQC control