BR515N - Carvin 115 combo... worth it to upgrade the driver?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'm thinking of buying a Carvin BR515N. My idea is to buy the combo and replace the bx500 amp with my LMII. I love my LMII and while I am sure the bx500 is a decent amp, I know that I will just prefer my LMII. Then I can take the bx500 and sell it for about $380 (or something). Meaning the combo without the amp will cost me around $160 or so when all is said and done. They sell on ebay at the carvin store for $560.

Anyways, considering all that, is it worth it to upgrade the carvin driver to something like the Eminence Kappa 3015LF or possibly the neo version?

Part of the reason to buy this combo (other than the sheer convenience of having all the components in my rig in one unit) is to utilize the tiltback feature. I have read that when the combo is tilted back you lose some low-end. I am hoping to make up for that with a beefier driver.

carvinBR515N.gif

- Rack Space: 2U adapter end-plates
    - Dimensions: 20.7" wide X 18.5" deep X 23.8" high
    - Net Weight: 40 lbs

2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I was seriously checking out this combo myself...but I think I want to go lighter (30 pound range) to justify a combo purchase replacing my B100r.

I would try the stock speaker at first...it is made to handle the power and the cab is tuned for it.

I find that with a kickback setup, you can just kick the bass up a bit. The difference is not really that drastic vs,. the floor. Especially since this one is front ported.

For rear porting, I find that a back wall or corner really helps fill in the wall of bass behind you.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The only way to get a combo in the 30LB range is to get a 112. That will have less volume and will be less robust. I think 40LBS for the BR515 is incredibly light weight considering its a 115 with the amp built into it. My old UL115 was 43LBS and that was really light, but this thing takes the cake.

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I would agree with you but check around..there supposedly was a misprint for that amp and it is over 50 pounds. Still not bad (my B100r is close to 70). I am thinking to get to 30 it would take a 12" speaker at this point (like the Shuttle 12t).

Since I have PA support, my 100 watt B100r has been able to cover 99% of my gigs (besides the county fair stuff), so I would think 3x the power in a combo will really help out the tone with some extra headroom.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, I've seen that. Carvin definitely needs to update their weight specs. Makes it alot less feasible and desireable to me.

6. Why are you going to all the trouble of buying a Carvin amp if it will have no Carvin parts left in it when you are done! If you want to keep your LM head I would look into having a custom cabinet built with the tilt back feature and the driver you want. It may cost a bit more but sure seems like less headache.
    BTW I have the Carvin BR510N combo and I love it. I wouldn't change a thing in mine except maybe to add an extension cabinet such as a 1x15 or 1x12.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Based on the above, my calcs came up with: $180(Kappa)+$160(Carvin net cost)+$30 tax/shipping=$370 approximate total with upgrading.

I suggest you give Don at Low Down Sound a call and find out what it will take for him to build you a cabinet like the Carvin but is tuned to the Kappa 3015lf. Also ask him for his own suggestions. The guy has built 100's of custom cabs.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, now that I found out the Carvin 115 is actually 52LBS I will probably be looking at something else. The fact is that the carvin 115 would be a tight squeeze to get into my car, but since its spec'd at 40LBS I though it would be manageable.

I think Stumbo is right. A custom jobbie is probably the way to go.

9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    If it is close to what you want, the cabinet design may just lead to the extra weight. I have a Dr. Bass 115LF and that is 36 pounds and very compact. For the real low stuff though you will lose some volume.

Amp designs can be amazing but at the end of the day it is sometimes hard to get around actual physics (but eventually someone will...if we can think of it...it is possible).

The kickback feature of the Carvin is totally cool and I would say as a bass brother and total stranger just to buy it from Carvin and if it doesn't work out, send it back in 10 days. Gotta just take the plunge sometimes to figure out what will work.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If you check my profile you'll see that I've done that over and over again. :ninja:

Actually, I am strongly thinking of getting one those fEarful 15/6 cabs. I can always stick something under the cab to wedge it up a bit.

I really dig my UL112 x 2 rig, but I'm still looking to find that ultimate one cab solution.

11. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I've been searching for years...

Good luck.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    For most of us it doesn't need that, it's already quite tall and the midrange driver is easy to hear in stock configuration. I built mine with a separate top box specifically so I could tilt just the mid driver and tweeter, but have found that I've never needed to do so.;)

Be sure to spec really light plywood or you're still gonna be near or over 50 pounds.

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You should check out the 15/6 airhead that a guy on this forum got, I thnk 'bassplayer7770' or something similar :)

LDS built it for him and it's quite badass looking with his BX1200 on there.

14. [​IMG]

15. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I heard this LDS/Carvin rig myself at our Columbus GTG and it sounded really, really nice. I think this might be your ticket. The Carvin head did sound a little bright but I didn't notice how the EQ was setup. I'm sure with all the controls on the Carvin head that a broad range of tone can come from it. I don't want to put words in his mouth but the owner (can't remember your name, sorry man) said that this rig really shines on the gig in a full band setting and based on the overall setup/speaker configuration I'm sure that's true.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I'm in talks with Chef about buying his 15/6. My one concern is since its so deep sounding will it cut thru a mix? I dont like alot of highs and I play a J bass with Model Js and flatwounds. I'd likely turn the midrange down a bit to get my tone.

Thoughts?

17. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Chef's is 42LBS and 22.5" tall. I wonder if the wedge might effect the tone negatively?

18. The EQ on the Carvin was basically set flat. My name is Brian. ;)

With the 6.5" driver, I wouldn't worry too much about cutting through the mix. Plus, you can adjust the level of the 6.5" driver to your liking with the attenuator.

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    That one is a whole different animal than the fEarful designs. I'd much rather hear one than blindly speculate on the sonic differences.

I wonder if the wedge might effect the tone negatively?

Often in these cases it's a perceptual thing where hearing more highs makes you think there are now less lows. Maybe, maybe not. ;) I tilt my CxL-112 pretty often...works fine for me.

20. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Its really cool that you can adjust the 6.5 driver. That will be very handy.

Everything else, well... I guess I'll find out when I get it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021