Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BR8 = GR8

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by APouncer, Dec 5, 2000.

1. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Well, thanks to no-one for their advice on the BR8, I presume that means no-one has one, so, if you are considering a multitrack recorder, get a Boss BR8 IMO. It is really simple and effective and GR8 quality.

2. My band's guitarist just bought one of these, and since he paid the 700 bucks for it, it's his :p.
    However, I would like to learn about the features and uses of it as well. Are there any online sources for the manual? I went to the bossus.com website and couldn't find any. Any of you have experience with this unit? Any good?

3. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Do a search - I got it nearly a year ago and think it's great - I posted the addresses on here to a couple of online resources on it. I will answer more later, but just for now, I promise you will love it!

4. I did a search and couldn't seem to find it. The latest date it searched to was December of 2000. Is there any way to search earlier than that? I had it set for 6 months and older, but it still didn't...

5. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    http://members.tripod.com/ocomain/

This link contains all you will need for your BR8 uses.

I have used it extensively for nearly a year now and consider it the easiest to use, best quality, most practical and most effective 8track I have ever used. The built in effects make everything so much easier (ie no DI needed, no hiss, memory of settings, less boxes) and the built in tuner is a great idea making the whole procedure of recording as painless as possible.

Good luck - let me know how you get on.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I got one a while back. It was far less intuitive than I could cope with well. It got put up somewhere and I haven't been able to find it for like a year.

I would really like to be recording some of the songs I have been writing at home. But I can't. So I go to my old guitar players studio. He has a Protools setup that I covet badly. But it's not convenient like walking down the hall to my own music room would be.

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Well my previous recording history was with an old analog 4-track reel to reel. The BR-8 was a very different experience.

8. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The BR-8 is super cool for getting ideas down and sharing them with your band. I have also gone from the mixer into it and recorded a quick demo. I love how easy it is to use and it is not a huge learning curve from my 4 track Tascam. I love how many sounds I can get from it but I don't think I've really scratched the surface of all the sounds. I cut and paste to save disk space and and it is pretty slick. I plug it into my computer and record it into Cakewalk Pyro. Easy CDs in little time.

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Okay guys, you've convinced me to try it again. I have dug out the 'missing' BR8 and i'm going to try it again. Maybe I just needed more time away from my old reel to reel to be able to 'think BR8.'

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Threads merged

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    So if I get a decent version of a song down on this thing, how do I send it to a burner. My computer won't take zipdisks. There is an output on the back of the BR8, but I have never even taken the little plastic plug out of it. It says 'digital output.' Is it too much to hope that it is a USB? If it is not a USB, then how much are cables for it? ARE there cables for it?

It's wierd. I turn into some kind of moron as soon as I get near this machine. I miss my old reel to reel.:crying: