Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Braces

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paniak17, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Well i might get my braces off soon, in mid-may. They always say next time, ever since january, but this time hes gotten pretty serious. I wear my rubber bands ALOT and my teeth are near perfect. There just one tooth that is twisted and a minor gap on the left side of my mouth. They put a elink on to close the gap, and a spring to fix the twisted/crooked tooth.

It's been about 2 weeks and i think its working, but im really not to sure it is. What's the best way i can check to see if it is working? (by that i mean my twisted/crooked tooth)

Other than that I really don't have a question. I just wanted some feedback on braces and such. I'm really mad i didnt get them off last time. Any uplifting stuff would be apreciated.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    all i'm going to say is i'll have braces till get jaw surgery. hopefully my insurance covers the 10k fee. not too mention the two implants or bridge.

3. I had braces for 3 years (8th grade to sophomore year). Since you mentioned that they put a spring in to fix the twisted tooth, you should probably start noticing a change within a couple of weeks, as springs tend to move teeth quickly. You'll probably see a change in the gap within the same timeframe, but smaller improvement.

Just remember that even after you get your braces off, you'll pretty much have to wear a retainer the rest of your life. You'll have to wear it every day and night for one year, then go to only nights for one year, and then once a week for 6 mos. (or at least that's how long I had to). After that, my orthodontist said to just try to put in about once a month for a night to make sure it still fits and the teeth haven't shifted. Course, I seem to have lost my top retainer somewhere in the last couple years....oh well.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, getting braces sounds like a huge PITA. My front three teeth have always been crowded. It's not bad; just that one of my insisors is back further than it should be and there's a gap in the front two teeth. Since the teeth on my sides are perfectly straight, I always wondered if I could just get those front 3 teeth pulled and get a partial instead of going through braces (especially since I'm in my 20's and will be entering a professional career). But I'm not an orthodonist, so I don't know. *LOL*

5. I was so stoked when I got mine off. Best feeling in the world. Now all I have to do is wear my retainer all the time for another month or so, get a root canal, my wisdom teeth removed, a bone graft and a couple inplants and my teeth will be perfect. So much fun!

6. ok i've got another question. Do rubber bands "power" or force the spring to move the tooth back into place. Or does the spring move by itself, with little or no help from the rubber bands. I had an overbite and now its pretty much gone. So if i start wearing rubber bands alot, wont i have an under bite. Thanks.

7. f_london

f_london

Aug 17, 2004
    Man, i've had my braces for 6 years now(4th grade), and i can read a shorthand record just as easily as the doc. Rubber bands really don't do anything to help the spring move teeth, they just help with jaw positioning(well... there are a few exceptions, but that just depends on how they have you wearing them). You shouldn't have to worry about an underbite either.

I know what you're talkin about with the whole "maybe they'll be ready to come off next time" load o' bull. Every time i go there, the alternate between a chain on the bottom(which pulls my teeth too close together) to a spring which spaces them too far apart and over rotates my tooth. This has been going on for a couple years now.
    It's REDICULOUS!!!!

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I had braces twice. Once on the bottom row of teeth when I was about 9 or so, and then again on both rows when I was 14. The second time especially I noticed they were working within a few hours, just by how sore my teeth were. I couldn't chew on my front teeth for a week.

But ultimately your orthodontist will be able to tell if its working, and if not, make the necessary changes. But, most likely you should see some what of a difference within a few weeks.

What was the biggest pain for me was having to wear a retainer after I got them off. It seemed like a few years I needed it. Eventually I stopped wearing it which made my front two with turn to form a bit of a V which pushed one of my lower teeth back a bit, so make sure you wear yours :)

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    When my braces came off, the orthodostist saw that they had left all of my teeth de-calcified and I had to get fillings in every single tooth in my head. Uplifting, eh?

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just had a dentist appointment and the hygenist said I still had "cement" on my teeth from when I got the braces off 10 years ago. Granted, I hadn't been to the dentist in 5 years previously , but the hygensists before that should've caught it :)

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just got braces last Nov...nice, huh, I'm 46.
    My problem? My teeth were 'too straight'...the top front teeth's surfaces were beginning to show some 'wear'. My regular dentist caught this...suggested I might want to do something now rather than let it develope into something worse & even more costly down the road.
    The orthodontist is a cute blonde(late 20s/early 30s)...she sez, I should only be in them 18 months. We'll see.

$3000+ coulda bought a nice bass, huh?

12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If your teeth are already straight, what are the braces going to do to them?

$3000...it's sad that dental insurance usually doesn't even touch the cost alot of times.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You're supposed to have a slight overbite...I didn't have that.
    I didn't want to wear the surfaces down to nubs, ya know.
    ;)

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    What's the story on that Invisiline thing? I'd imagine it's quite expensive.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was told the Invisiline & 'clear'/ceramic braces are more expensive AND more delicate than the standard metal ones. I'm not delicate.

I was also told the metal ones come in different colours...I asked for black & got funny looks. No dice, I ended up with silver.

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm not surprised. You're going to pay for convenience :) I don't think the actual metal parts that they glue to your teeth are colored. When I had them it was just the wire that was colored.

17. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Worst part about getting braces off = Plate.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Braces are lame, people should get them in elementary school when everyone looks awkward anyway, and have them off before anyone really cares what you look like. I had them from 6-8th grade. Had no problems with my teeth when they came off. I still wear a retainer occasionally on the bottom (once every month) when i sleep just so keep them grounded.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Some people don't need them in elementary school.
    Besides, everyone cares about how the other kids look in elementary school. IIRC, that's when all the joking/teasing occurred...certainly not when one is supposed to be an 'adult'. ;)

20. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Basically it's always a bad time to have braces. If you have em in elementary school, you get teased. In high school you probably get talked about behind your back. And as an adult people wonder "You're an adult and you have braces? How come you didn't get them earlier?" :)