Brad Houser in the house

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joelc73, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    A Reverend Brad Houser showed up today. For those who haven't played one of these yet, you have to track one down. It showed up (in tune!) and went straight to band practice. It has a really cool and familiar J-bass tone and vibe. This will probably become one of my main gigging basses.

For the money, you really cannot go wrong.
  2. NICE. you had better post a pic PDQ, or i'll get antsy. and you don't want that.
  3. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Here's a quick photo:
  4. MMMM, I wanna want one of these. Almost enough that I want to sell all my basses to get it.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001

Hey thats pretty nice there. I like that alot... CONGRATS:D
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Very cool! I wanted one with the Engine Turn finish, but it doesn't look like Reverend offers that anymore.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Sweet Mother of Jeebus, that's a nice rig you got there. Walter Woods, Epifani, uh... Furman. Sweet. :D

What's the wacky switching on the Houser? Is it like the Fender RB5?
  8. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Nice bass Joal I got to get over to check it out
  9. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    On the subject of reverend....

My best mates uncle is simon lebon, you know, the singer from Duran Duran(!). Recently we went over to his house in london. He has a basement with about 8 guitar cases in, and before long I was rummaging through. found a rubberstring bass (Ashbory or whatever its called) which im borrowing, a parker fly guitar, many others and a reverend guitar. the finish was called 'bug eye' and was basically chrome with lots of raised 'bubbles'. Absolutely lovely. I would live to play one of their basses!
  10. Hey Joel,
    Great score, man. That is a beauty. I'm a big advocate of Reverend basses and I'm glad you dig yours, being that you're a Fodera player. If I played 5-string, I would be all over a Brad Houser bass.
  11. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The switches toggle between single coil / parallel / and series. It's a pretty cool option to have. In the Bassplayer magazine review they mentioned putting flat wounds on it; I usually take what they say with a grain of salt, but in this case I think they're probably right. It would sound huge in series mode with flats on it.

Who makes good flat wounds? Ernie Ball?
  12. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY

How's the balance and playability of that thing? You're not put off by the lack of body-sculpting?
  13. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    wow! dynamite looking bass! I have a 4 string rumblefish--same color as dancehallclasher's except w/ rosewood neck--just picked up a blue 5 string rumblefish off ebay ata price i couldn't refuse. Only played 1 night w/ it but i'm amazed at how huge an adjustment--played 4 string for 27 years--i feel lost on a 5!!!! I get lost as far as which string am i on and i let that damn b ring open! First impressions on 4 vs 5 rev. is a completely different sense of balance due to heavier neck and the adjustment to playing a much wider neck.
  14. That's sweet! I am a Rumblefish 4 owner, but the Houser sig basses would be one of my first choices for a 5-string just because I believe in Joe's basses. I love my Rumblefish!
  15. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I thought that the Pu's on that bass had adjustable exposed pole pieces?
  16. Yeah, it looks different now. I think that the people who make their pickups didn't want to punch the holes for the polepieces anymore. Same pickups, though.
  17. Also, here's a picture of my Houser. It has Rotosound flats, and I recently sold it.
  18. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Hey Funky..good to see you.

What's happening w/ the pit? Is the server down? I haven't been able to access the page for the past day or two.
  19. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The bass is pretty light overall, so the balance isn't that much of an issue to me. Although I used it in a seated position at practice. I'll try it with a strap tonight.

Also on the pick-up pole question above; apparently their no longer using the exposed poles as of this bass. All future BH's will have solid covers, though I'm told the tone is the same. I've never played one with exposed pick-ups, so I can't say either way. These sound pretty good now.
  20. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Update on the pick-up issue. I folded... The bass loses too much vibe without the exposed pole pick-ups. It turns out Reverend still have a couple of old sets in stock so we're gonna swap these out. I sent the old ones back on Thrusday. I should have new ones this week. I'll post an updated pic then.

Poles or not though, these are great sounding basses. I can't say enough good things about them. If anyone is on the fence about them, I'd get one now. It looks like they may be searching for ways to strip cost out of them. Which may or may not be a good thing. ;)