1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brad Johnson is Right!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Ash is truly a natural smiley face eq! I was a/b-ing a sweet MIA G&L JB-2 with my Fender Jazz V at lunch, playing Peter Muller's "G-String." The lows and highs on that JB-2 were just more prounounced than were on my Alder Fender. The Fender has sweeter mids, and the tone "sang" a bit more, but I loved the punch of that ash.:bassist:

One more thing: The JB-2 the most underrated Jazz style bass of all time! Why G&L does not make this bass in a five is beyond bad business. A nice, wide necked version of this would be wonderful for all the bassists who would love another high quality Jazz in the under $1,500 price range.:bassist:

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Were the fingerboard, neck and pickups the same on each?

3. :D It's very dangerous to attribute the tone differences between two basses on any one feature or spec of each bass.

Heavy ash sounds different than light ash, and there is a huge variability between different pieces of wood, even if they are the same 'type'.

bass nitro likes this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The fingerboards were both rosewood. The pickups were similar (alnico), not the same, and my bass, being a five, had a wider and larger neck.

5. Even different strings (or the same strings with different amounts of playing time) can really impact the sound and hence comparison of two basses, much less different pickups.

However, I do like the look of ash a lot better than alder on basses that have bursts or trans finishes, and I do think that, in general, an ash body bass does 'seem' to have a bit more of a hard attack and a wider tone footprint. However, it's hard to isolate that impact. I've played alder bodied basses with maple boards that were the most aggressive 'ash' sounding basses ever, with huge low end and clickity clackity top end.

Edit: I think I played on of those G&L J's at Chef's house a while back, and it was killer. Aggressive on top of aggressive, if it's the same model.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yep, that's a JB-2, very aggressive, and bright. I would prefer a five, but given their price (less than $1,200 new) I think it is a great buy, and they are also contructed at a level that compares very favorably to boutique basses.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

but as we all know, Brad "could be wrong"! :smug: :p :D

Seriously, he's one of the most knowlegable bassists I know and a hell of a guy. It's been a pleasure to meet him a few times in person. He knows his shinizit! :)

8. Agree 100% on the JB2. The only reason I don't have one is because it's not been offered in a 5.

9. Johnson Johnson is right!
    :D

10. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Loved my JB-2, wish I never sold it. In fact, I'll probably pick up another if I can ever justify it.

I found the same sonic footprint, as KJung put it, in my 08 J, which is alder/maple. Go figure. But, I never found the JB-2 very "smiley" sounding anyway, it still had a good amount of mid hump, which I liked. But it did have a rosewood board, FWIW.