"Brain Games" on NatGeo channel - Wow. Anyone see it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It's a series on human perception, memory, and so on. It's absolutely fascinating.

Brain Games - National Geographic Channel

Take a look at this jpg from the show, the top and bottom are actually the same color:

[​IMG]

if you don't think so, cover the middle seam with your finger and look again....surprise..

They also did an experiment to test how good/bad people are as witnesses to a crime. They staged a "crime", then interviewed people about what they saw, then put people in a sort of mock, informal "court" to testify about what they saw a few days later...
    now I had always heard that human memory is not the most accurate of things but damn! had this been a real crime, they actually would have convicted the wrong guy based on the faulty memories of the witnesses, then they further demonstrated how easy it was to manipulate memories when they put two false witnesses to make misleading statements about details of the crime and some real witnesses started agreeing with them..
    Granted, it's only a TV show and they could spin it any way they want, but it really drove home what I learned in my college psych classes many years ago about the human mind and memory. Given the recent controversy about the death penalty and such...well, definitely makes one wonder...

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I thought you were totally crazy about that being the same color....until I put my finger on the seam. I"M the one who is crazy. :D

-Mike

3. I said "Bull." out loud. Even if it was to a guy who lives in my computer screen, I am embarrassed :p.

4. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    That is AWEsome!

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    From what I saw of the previews, the show looked like it had potential, but I wasnt really wowed by the 4th grade optical illusions they showed. The card trick they showed was very elementary. However, I didnt watch the show itself, and it could have been better than I had predicted.

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It was a good show, the illusions that they showed ranged from corny to amazing but the point was really to show how easily the human brain can be fooled and why, and was not really so much about the illusions.
    The "crime scene" segment really blew my mind. I mean people have been convicted on less evidence and are sitting in jail right now. Makes you really wonder

7. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I liked the guy who thought that he was an amazing multi-tasker, then determined to be average at best. I was reminded again this morning when a make-up applying "lady" almost ran me and my toddler off the road.

I think that it's a good show, but for some reason got cumbersome to watch after a bit.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    For some reason my school's filter blocked that image. Is there another link you could throw up?

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
  10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    +1

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021