Brain is shot... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Mar 16, 2006.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    My mind has just been terrible lately. I can't think or understand things quite as readily and when I type, my sentences make too little sense waaay too often. Even when I proofread stuff, things just don't click. Things go in one ear (eye?) and out the other. Ive been in a lot of stress lately, so maybe that's why I can't concentrate, or maybe its other things I perhaps shouldn't be doing so much. Does anyone know any excersizes/treatments that would help? Im only 18, and I'd hate for my brain to be shot going into college... I'd really like to be at the top of my game (I want to study physics).
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  4. We all go through this from time to time. So, the first thing to realize is that what you're going through is NORMAL. Don't let some quack rush you onto medication and make you feel like you belong in a ward somewhere. Pick one thing that you really enjoy that requires physical effort. Walking? A great way to get out and clear your mind. A brisk walk over a decent distance (1-2 miles) gets the heart pumping well and you'll start to feel much better. Keep at it and make it a ritual. Bass playing? Ahh, wait until you experience how much better you'll play with that clearer head from the walking. When playing, make it a true practice by focusing on a particular song, technique, anything that makes you concentrate without it being overwhelming.

Hang in there! Life is full of ups and downs and the downs can cloud up our minds and make us feel like we can't do anything right. Deal with it straight on and learn what's really making you feel this way; responsibilities? sour relationship? whatever. Just resist the urge to drown problems with drugs or alcohol. They do NOTHING to solve what's bugging you. The temporary buzz may make you think that things have gotten better, but you'll get hit dead on with the problems when the buzz is over.

No, I'm not a doctor and never would profess to be. But I'm 41 years old and have seen what a lot of friends, family and myself have gone through. Good luck!!!

Paul Mac
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    i tried (try) walking. i walk about 10-15 miles on the weekends and about 1-2 miles every day. it has definately helped clear my mind, but for other reasons things have still been messed up, and walking just makes my knees hurt now.
    sleep is probably the best thing, i think. on average i get 5-5.5 hours per night.... maybe 6.5 would be in order.
    thanks for the advice, but can anyone explain the whole B vitamins thing?
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Try 8.
  7. Some herbal supplements that may be of benefit:

gingko biloba

+1 for sleep
    good nutrition
  8. Stress will do that to you. For me lack of sleep will accompany stress so my mind will turn to mush if it goes on too long.

Diet and exercise does help. If you're not eating right you could have a slight chemical imbalance and dealing with stress doesn't help. Exercise releases endorphins that help you deal with stress plus it will help you regulate your sleep.

Read this for Vitamin B

5 to 6 is not enough
  9. Yeah, uh, as a teenager you need 10 to 12 hours of sleep per night. This just might be your problem!

I would also get some exercise.