1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brain scans tune in to personal nature of improvising music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by MingusAmongUs, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Maybe of interest to jazz players and improvisers of all stripes:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-03-04-musician-brain-scans_N.htm?csp=34

...which explains a lot of the content here on TB. :eyebrow:

2. :D

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
  4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm reading a book called Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks. Doesn't speak directly to this topic but more generally about the effect of music on the brain.

5. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Yeah -- the Sacks and Levitin books are like sisters in a way, coming out at roughly the same time on the same topic area. As usual, Sacks goes waaaay deep on a sort of singular aspect of the topic, using case studies as a springboard for teaching and thinking and working towards the general. Levitin's purpose, on the other hand, is to give the lay reader an overview of all the stuff that's gone on in this field over the last few decades.

6. there's another one, Music and the Mind, by Anthony Storrs. Can't say I recommend it though, as I have yet to make it through the whole thing. 3 tries so far. A little too cerebral.