1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brainstorming a bass build, would like to bounce pickup ideas

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by summerson1, Dec 13, 2018.

1. summerson1

summerson1

Feb 20, 2011
    So I'm bouncing around ideas for a pair of sister basses, one a 4 string and one a 5 string. I've been picking woods based on looks, and am intrigued by a combination of a wenge neck with ebony fretboard with a black korina body oil finished. I'd use these as primary gigging basses in a metal band and would like input on pickups and electronics. I'm looking for ones that have both 4 and 5 string versions if possible. My current gigging basses are both PJs but I also like the way music man basses sound. I usually only use the P pickups when playing.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    EMG DC is the classic metal pickup. Their other soapbar models are great too, just different tones. They all come in 4-string (35) and 5-string (40) models.

Wenge/ebony is fairly heavy, and Korina can be light. You’ll want to carefully match them for good balance.

3. summerson1

summerson1

Feb 20, 2011
    Do you have any other recommendations for a body wood to compliment the neck? I've played wenge necked basses and love the feel and really like how black korina looks with a wenge neck. I'm leaning more towards woods that look good with an oil finish because that'd be something I want to experiment with.

4. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    You could look for a heavier wood like maple or walnut, but then you have to keep an eye on overall weight. You could also address balance by making sure the upper horn is nice and long. Or you could just learn to live with a bit of neck dive. It doesn’t bother me that much, but others are very particular about it.

groove pump likes this.
  5. summerson1

summerson1

Feb 20, 2011
    I don't find neck dive to be a big issue, but if it's any special consideration I'm looking into a P or J style body. Everything I've looked at has been on Warmoth's website so far

ctmullins likes this.
  6. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Warmoth usually lists the weights of their off-the-shelf items, and when ordering custom you can request a lighter neck and/or a heavier body.

I love the look of black Korina!