1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BRAINWAVE!! FOR PRACTICE AMP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boglej2, Sep 21, 2008.

1. boglej2

boglej2

Dec 3, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    Right so i have a big amp setup for playing live but its a pain to bring home and practice with, but i just came up with a great idea!!

I have a pod xt pro that i don't use live because i haven't come to grips with it yet, so i was thinkin why not just build a small cab with 1x10" speaker, get a small power amp, definitely no more than 100watts needed and use the pod as a pre??!!

I'm just wondering if any1 here has any tips for wiring the cabinet up, and how i could find a cheap power amp for it, without ebay because i live the wrong side of the atlantic(or the right side whichever way you wanna look at it)

Cheers

2. Hughsie

Hughsie

Nov 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Why not just go with a small combo to keep the workload/clutter down? There's plenty of decent cheap (ish) combos at that size out there - try Cash Converters or the likes (I'm guessing they're in Ireland as well as the UK - if not there's bound to be an equivalent; effectively a big pawn shop, but they do a lot of cheap new kit too).

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Well, I don't have an answer to your question, but I thought about this too and I'm after the same thing you described. :)
    So: you're not alone.

I looked around for a 1x10" cab... it seems you have to build it yourself.

4. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    If it has an effects loop, plug the output of your pod into the effect return. That way you bypass the preamp and use just the pod's emulation.

Or of course, headphones ;)

5. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Schroeder makes a 10" cab. But for your needs, a small combo is probably the way to go.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

For practice, why bother with a 10? Go with something even smaller.

Or just use headphones.

It's solo practice, after all. Not a concert.

And, actually, it's helpful to have something that will point out fret buzz, finger noise, and anything sloppy. It forces you to improve your technique, because nothing is buried in deep bass.

7. Lapicide

Lapicide

Feb 19, 2008
    Same here, I also wanted a very light portable rig to take to acoustic gigs/jams. Took me awhile to find what I wanted. I thought about the combo route. Tried several out but I turned out to be very particular on the tone I wanted. I don't dig the hi-fi sound. I couldn't just get a small portable combo because it is small and portable, I need my tone. However I didn't want to put out alot of cash, of course in the end I did. I went with a Hughes and Kettner Batt that has a tube pre and a single power tube, not loud but plenty for volume practice of playing with acoustic guitar and good vibe. or I have a SWR IOD with 2 el84's power tube, which has a good sound. I went with a wizzy 110 for a cab. Cool mojo with the pair. If I need more volume I have a 150w GK mb power amp. All together they work quite well. I like the sound at least. I just saw a post on a new SWR Spellbinder and checked out the features. 10" speaker, compressor, tube pre, 26lbs, 160 watts, now that would have been on my list to check out. HMMMMMM maybe I still will, I like the sound from the SWR IOD for sure....Lapicide

8. boglej2

boglej2

Dec 3, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    i kno u could go for a cheap combo, bt normally the tone wudn't be great out of them. Plus i do a bit of woodwork at home myself and i'd like the prospect of the challenge, as for headphones, how are u supposed to rock out with a pair of headphones!!!

Aside from all that i thot it wud be a handy way for me to put time into my pod, which i was thinkin bout selling...

9. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Find a yamaha bbt500 1x10. I have one and I gig with it. Extension speaker makes it a 500 watt amp. The head on its own is 11 lbs...

if it's in the budget it's a good option.

10. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    also, the store here has a practice "amp" for $30

looks like fun.