1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brake line question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stratovani, Jun 9, 2014.

1. My son's car (1994 Lincoln Continental) just blew a back brake line. Apparently it's right along the frame in between the doors on the driver's side. My question is do they sell a kit where you could cut into the existing line and splice on a section of line? I've replaced brake lines in the past, and they're a pain in the ass, and I'm getting a bit too old to be doing this.

I'm trying to save my son a few bucks. Any ideas, anyone?

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Try this.

3. I've blown a couple of brake lines. Didn't fix it my self but the shop I took it to did NOT replace the whole line , so yeah , there is some way just to replace a small part of the line. I guess they just used a piece of brake line and some kind of compression coupling like we use in the plumbing trade. Since it's hydraulic and involves pretty high pressures , I would think it would have to be a lot stronger than just a standard plumbing compression coupling. Maybe Mike N will chime in. He owns a repair shop and would know more about it than I would.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Thank you for contacting the TBOT Auto Repair Hotline. Please hold for Mike N. He will be with you shortly. :D

-Mike

Mike N likes this.
  5. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Depending on the run of it, maybe you can measure it with a tape measure, very carefully. They do sell sections of brake line already cut or will cut to length with flares on both ends and the nut at many auto store - parts counter. . If you have only 1-2 simple bends you can do it with this(below). A cheap one can be found for about $10 US or less. My the force be with you my basscanic mechanic.
    tubingbender.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    You're better off replacing the whole line than trying to splice a section in. You can buy a 25' roll of 3/16" brake line tubing for $20 and whatever fittings you may need for $1 each at darn near any auto parts store. Line that small bends and flares easily and you can probably borrow a flaring tool from a parts store. Just make sure you double flare the line so it seals correctly. Avoid the temptation to splice in using compression fittings..... they're not intended for brake lines, no matter what anyone may tell you.

If memory serves me correctly, a 94 Continental is really nothing more than a glorified Taurus. If that's the case, there should be two front to rear brake lines that run the length of the car. Replace both, if one blew the other can't be far behind.

placedesjardins and elBandito like this.
  7. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Yes!! Preach it!! No splicing a brake line - this ain't no heating and cooling or some such ****.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I've seen a ton of DIY repairs using compression fittings. They're great for fuel and transmission lines but have no place in a brake line. If you're going to splice a brake line you need to use flare fittings and unions. I myself prefer to replace the whole line, aside from the fact that the rest of the line is probably a rusted mess, the more fittings and unions you have in a line is more places for the line to leak. I've made my own lines here in the salt belt for 30 years and wouldn't do it any differently.

Which actually now that I think of it a 94 Lincoln may use a bubble flare versus a double flare. It's easy enough to tell the difference once you unscrew the fittings. The important part is to get the correct fitting for the flare style you have, they are different in how they hold the flare into the piece you're screwing it in to.

9. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    It's all about pressure. Like water lines - supply must be tight. Drain - *** flows downward naturally.

I am glad OP asked - don't take a brake line lightly, that ain't just YOUR life on the LINE.

10. As it turns out I have a good friend of mine that used to be a mechanic in the Massachusetts National Guard, and he offered to replace the line for a small sum. He knows what he's doing, I've seen him in action and he's real good. I also told my son that once the line is in to sell the car, since it's 20 years old and there's no telling what other problems might creep up.

Thanks to everyone here for your sage advice, especially Mike N.

Mike N likes this.