Brand new amp is buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Catmun, May 1, 2020.

1. Catmun

Catmun

Apr 26, 2020
    I just bout a Fender Rumble 100 from Sweetwater. It seemed fine on day one, but now on day two and there is an awful buzz when I play with the volume raised at all.

I have a Fender passive Jazz Bass and an Ibanez with active electronics. If I use any force at all besides a very light pluck, there is awful buzz, especially on the lower strings. This is with both guitars. I’m beyond frustrated, I’ve barely put two hours into playing this thing.

Should I just seek out a replacement right away? I’m willing to tighten some easy outside screws but other than that, I’m not opening this thing up. I know nothing about electronics and am not removing the speaker etc on a two-day old amp.

Any thoughts?

staccatogrowl likes this.
  2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Contact Fender

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Your dealer will be in the best position to get this resolved.

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Wait.... buzz when the volume knob on full ?!?!I believe that is farted than buzz. And I think you expect too much on this 100 watts and it 12in driver combo in crazy high volume set.

I suggest you visit Talkbass rumble club and tell them your story.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    That's not how I read his description.

jeff7bass, staccatogrowl and quickfix like this.
  6. Catmun

Catmun

Apr 26, 2020
    No, not at full volume. I can’t even go to 1/4 volume on this thing. Thanks for misconstruing my words and acting like a jackass though

Heavy Blue and staccatogrowl like this.
  7. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Welcome to Talkbass.

Call Sweetwater.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Just a thought but are you standing too close to your amplifier? Too close and the amp's power transformer will induce hum into the pickups of the bass.

jeff7bass likes this.
  9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Have you tried a different instrument cable and a different outlet? It might be location.

There are a number of possible sources of noise like hum or buzz that are endemic to a given house hold, and they can be intermittent: heating, cooling, lights, rheostats on any device, computers, cell phones, outside power lines, power line insulators, street lights, neon signs, etc.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022