Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brand new Ampeg SVP tubes thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chalie, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,
    My last post was about the noise coming out of my brand new Ampeg SVP Pro amp but that was solved by replacing one of 12AX7 tube. Thanks for your advices.

After I open the case if found that only one of 12AX7 is branded GT (12AX7R) where other 3s have no print on and
    that 3 look all the same but they are very different from GT one. The trouble tube was from these 3s unbranded.
    The single 12AU7 in the case is made by EH not GT too but this is not the issue for me since this should be a good tube as well.
    Ampeg labled it all GT tubes inside and I am waiting for the answer from the factory about this thread. I wonder if you guys have the same experience as me and if you think this is an issue to concern.
    Thanks

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    No need for concern. Groove tubes does not make tubes. They rebrand & re-sell them. a GT 12AX7R is a Sovtek or New Sensor, who also make EH tubes. Groove Tubes supplies Ampeg with the tubes as opposed to Ampeg buying direct from the tube manufacturers. If that tube was defective out of the box, you could have approached the store where you bought it. They probably would have just given you a replacement.

3. Frankly speaking, I can understand that they don't make any tube but they suppose to select the tubes and do the QC. My believe is that they will lable GT after the QC so I am very concern with my case since I see no reason why they put the one with out lable into the products that claimed are from them. I am worry that they put the rejected tubes for cost-cutting reason that is why one of them is gone now.

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I seriously doubt they'd use "rejected tubes" in their amps. I dont know what happened with your amp, maybe it was dropped in transit, maybe a bad tube slipped by GT's QC, maybe its a conspircay. but as I said, you could have approached the store where you bought it & they probably would have just given you a replacement. I still say there is no need for concern, but if you want to worry about it... carry on. ;)

5. The factory replied me and confirm that they only put 1 GT branded tube in (though they said GT tubeS inside on the case). Though they disagree with me about the thought of having rejected tubes involve but I see no reason why people unbrand their brand their stuffs unless it is for others to brand it or disqualify tubes.
    I deffinately will change the rest of them to avoid fustration but the factory should be shame with it as well don't you think.
    Thanks for your advice :)

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I don't own any ampeg amps at the moment but you made me go look for the hang tags on the SVPCL that I owned because I remember the groove tube hang tag on it and the SVT3 that I owned. Believe it or not I still have the hang tag and it says "this amp is groove tubed". Says nothing about all the tubes are groove tubes. anyway both my SVT3pro and SVPCL only had one groove tube in it and the rest were something else. so I think this is normal.