1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brand new and have wiring questions.....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cretin76, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Cretin76

Cretin76

Jun 6, 2012
    I have an Epiphone Accubass and I'm replacing all of the electronics.

I want to get rid of the pots and only use switches.

What is like to do is have a simple on/off switch instead of a volume knob, but I don't want any popping when flipping said switch.

And instead of a tone pot, I'd like a two or three position switch that would give me tone at "0", tone at "10", and maybe one position for somewhere between the two.

The bass has 500k pots with a .063(I think that's right) cap. With tone on 10, it's a bit harsh, so I was thinking I'd probably wire a 250k resistor to the switch. Which capacitor would I need in order to avoid that harshness? Also, if I did wire another one in for the "in between" setting, what value would I need for that.

Wiring diagrams would be very very helpful. As would links to buy the parts, haha.

Also, I am changing from the stock pickups to Dimarzio model Ps, if that matters.

I just searched for two hours and couldn't find the answers I need. My apologies if they're floating around here somewhere.

2. You should have found this one somewhere on TalkBass, if the search engine was working right.

4165252520_902339015f_o.png

0.063uF is an odd value. Are you sure it isn't a 0.068uF? In any case, that's a rather high value for high impedance pickups. The frequency cutoff point should be rather low, so it should cut a decent amount of high frequency content. When the tone pot is on "10" the capacitor is effectively removed from the circuit. What you would do is choose a resistance under 250k, to get a slight cut at the brighter switch setting. Or use a low value capacitor with no resistance.

3. Cretin76

Cretin76

Jun 6, 2012
    No, I saw that, it just doesn't make sense to me(sorry, I'm new to wiring). The capacitor is probably .068. That diagram has three switches and I only need two. It doesn't show the pickups. I don't know what the tiny little lines from the middle pin on the switches is for. Sorry again, this is literally brand new to me. I can wire up your car stereo though, haha.

Also, how would I do it for a three position tone switch?

Thanks

4. So the pickups will be hardwired in parallel with no pickup selector? The wiring would be the same, just run both pickup hots to one switch.

Three position switching would be done with a DPDT On/On/On switch, also known as a SP3T.
    5013134368_3eb8f07ee3_o.png
    A third capacitor can be wired to the unused terminal, if you don't want a bypass.

5. Cretin76

Cretin76

Jun 6, 2012
    That also makes no sense to me. There appears to be a pot there and I won't have one.

I'm sorry I'm so bad at this, haha.

6. Cretin76

Cretin76

Jun 6, 2012
    please excuse my terrible paintshop/wiring schematic skills, but would this work?

basswiring.jpg

i tried to label everything the best i could

is it ok for everything to ground at the bridge?

and like i said, i didnt know what those two lines under the middle pins on that other diagram were, so i left them out

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Umm...your switches dont do anything unless they are on-on-on.

8. The pot is irrelevant, just pay attention to the switch.

Your diagram has the switches wired to do nothing. I'll redraw it when I have time.

Note, the symbol you are referring to is the schematic symbol of a ground point. Those connections must go to ground, but where exactly you solder them won't matter, as long as they all interconnect one way or another.

9. Cretin76

Cretin76

Jun 6, 2012
    I know what the ground symbol is, I was talking about the lines under the center pins, the ones shaped kinda like a backwards L. But know I'm assuming they also connect to the "power" wire.

And redrawing it would be awesome. Thanks

10. 7347254110_8da3effab8_o.png

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Those connections are labelled, so it should be clear.

If you have active pickups, there will be a red wire from each pickup that connects to the battery's positive terminal; the negative terminal will go to the ring terminal of the output jack. DiMarzio pickups are passive, however.

11. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The middle connection looking like an L is a drawing convenience. It looks like that to show that the output jack tip terminal line and the wire between the two switches aren't connected together, they just overlap on the schematic.

12. Cretin76

Cretin76

Jun 6, 2012
    I didn't realize that the wires were crossing for the output tip terminal, that's what was confusing me.

So in that diagram, only the on/off switch has a resistor on it, do I only need that one?

Also, I can just connect all the grounds and run them to the bridge, right?

13. Cretin76

Cretin76

Jun 6, 2012
    Upon further research, I think I'll just order a prewired control assembly and keep the pots. At least until I get another bass and I can experiment on the Epiphone.

But thanks for the help