Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brand new Back Door/Colin Hodgkinson material released.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Mar 25, 2003.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    To anyone out there that's interested (i.e. Jerry! ;) )

I had a pleasant surprise recently when I learned that Back Door (feat. Brit bass whiz Colin Hodgkinson) have reformed and last week put out a new album! Half of the material on the disc is re-recorded versions of tracks from the first two albums in the 70s (these were recorded in '99, before Warner Bros reissued the Back Door albums on CD).

The album is being put out by Cultural Foundation (www.cultfound.org), a very small, local label. You can order it from the website - they offer secure transactions. I just got my copy through the post this morning - will listen to it properly later.

PS. Here are some pics from the reunion gigs at the Blakey Inn (where the band started) on the 12th and 13th of March.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Thanks for the heads up David;) Colin was recently covered in the British bass magazine called 'Bass Guitar'.....he seems like such a nice guy......I'm so stoked he is still doing it! The last thing I got from him was a live album with Brian Augar where he did a little Back Door playing.

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thought I would update this thread with the sad news that Ron Aspery (saxes, keys) passed away at home on 10th December. :(

RIP

[​IMG]

4. I remember Colin being in David Coverdale's "Whitesnake" in the beginning of the '80s. He did a cool bass/slide guitar duet with Mickey Moody when performing live on stage, himself doing lead vocals as well.

He also was one of the many guest musicians (like Brian Auger or John Lord) in Pete York's TV show "Super Drumming" (which they broadcast only in Germany, I think).

That black Precision must be his fave instrument!