1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brand new bass guitar has crackling/hum sound when bass booster turned on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greg17382, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Greg17382

Greg17382

Aug 7, 2020
    Hi everyone,
    I just got my first bass about 2 weeks ago - it's a Cort b4 plus as rm - and I've only just recently started hearing a distinct crackling/humming noise when I flick the bass booster on. I've tried playing with cables and pedals and I've managed to isolate it down to just this one feature.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Should I take it back?
    Thanks

2. Elusive1

Elusive1

Jun 21, 2018
    Singapore
    So you don't hear it when the booster is off?

3. Greg17382

Greg17382

Aug 7, 2020
    Yep, flicking the switch off gives a perfectly clean sound

4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Try changing the battery?

5. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    dirty switch maybe? can you clean contacts on it possibly?

cool looking basses by the way, good luck

6. Greg17382

Greg17382

Aug 7, 2020
    I actually did, but didn't change - old battery also had almost full charge

7. Greg17382

Greg17382

Aug 7, 2020
    Hm it could be - I'm not sure how I would get into the switch, but I'll give it a try, thanks!

8. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    is there a control plate on back, should have access to switch from there. May have to loosen nut holding switch, to get access to it for cleaning. Find an appropriate contact cleaner and give it a shot. Maybe just work the switch a few dozen times to see if it clears it up a bit before cleaning.

Maxdusty likes this.
  9. nilorius

nilorius Inactive Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    It seems like it is only b-buster switch problem. If You like the guitar and the sound, just let some master to do the problem and keep it.

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Could be the switch. One pretty painless check is to unscrew the control plate and check the wiring. But it's probably more likely to be a dirty or defective switch. Cheap and easy to have fixed.

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    This....I had a Yamaha TRBX304 with a five blade switch. It would only work on two of the settings and get that crackle and no sound on the other options. I flicked the switch up and down a few times while spraying contact cleaner in each of the settings. It worked. If this doesn't work, I would return the bass.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020