1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brand new build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dejavoodoo, Jun 11, 2014.

1. dejavoodoo

dejavoodoo

Mar 29, 2005
    New Mexico
    Hi all....
    I hope this is the right forum to ask this......
    I have a golden opportunity to build whatever I want,bass wise. A friend has built and tested a CNC router and it does amazing work. I've already used it to make a replacement front cover for one of my guitar amplifiers out of mirrored acrylic sheet, engraved from the back.
    Anyway, this same friend has a large piece of 1-1/2" solid walnut left over from something else he was building and it's free for the taking, so I'm thinking of building a 6 string bass from it. Not sure what the tonal properties will be ( I've seen walnut tops, but not solid walnut) and I'm sure it'll be heavy, but I play Spectors already, and sixes ain't light.
    I'm not planning to build a neck, but that would be great another time. I don't feel all that capable of building a good neck, and I know I'd give myself headaches, and that's the last thing I need right now.I'm not up on neck suppliers, except Carvin, and Moses.
    I've been playing over 40 years, and I've modified several basses over the years, but I've never actually built one, so I've been searching for potential pitfalls to watch out for.
    I haven't decided about the design yet, but hell,I could build my own 6 string Ricky bass if I wanted, since I can't get one.....
    Probably not tho. Most likely 35"bolt on, but neck through is a possibility. Thinking of going with Aguilar pups and preamp, 3x3 headstock, 5 knobs- volume, balance, bass, treble, mid.
    So....any advice from someone who's done this and wished they'd done something differently?
    Thanks!
    AlanP