Brand new Eden Navigator STINKS... on to SWR SM 900? Reviews?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    My brand new Navigator has the NASTIEST hiss coming out of the Direct out after all possible combinations of instruments, music, PA settings etc A-B'd with all the same variables to my GK 1001RB direct out. At least twice the noise from Eden then my GK 1001RB all things equal & no human error.
    I was wondering if others have had this problem?
    I may just go ahead & pickup a SWR SM-900 or Eden WT800 (Store credit limits me to these 2 amps only!!)
    Regarding the SM-900, almost no reviews on the Bass gear review archive & NONE here. Great features, footswitch EQ! Love it! ANYBODY use this amp can give a quick review?
    Or maybe you went with the Eden, you can plug that too
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't have this problem with mine...I'd recommend you get the store to exchange you a new navigator from the store, or direct from eden. Their customer service is good.
  3. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    Which out are you using? If going to the the Recording XLR out. Unless there's something defective in the unit, you shouldn't be having those problems. I have ZERO issues with mine for about 1 1/2 years now in a variety of venues.....
  4. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    My guess is that "nasty hiss coming out of DI output jack" is not a design decision on Eden's part. I'd call customer service and see about getting it looked at.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah i would second that

some other cat with a new eden was talking to me in an im, but his was a 550 and it was a hum problem.......

either way, that's a defect on the particular unit, not something that is inherent with all eden navigators. rather than writing it off, get it replaced or fixed.
  6. I remember reading some years back that some early Navigator Pre's had an issue with noise on the DI, and that the factory had a fix.

I had an early one myself, but it either never had the problem or else it had been fixed by a previous owner.

Call Eden.

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If your primary concern is to have a clean, quiet, good sounding direct out then the SM-900 is a great choice. Of course the sound is very different from the Eden, and it is not as powerful ... so you have to pick your poison. The Eden should have a good DI as well, but you do hear the occasional hiss or hum story.

You can try to get the nav fixed, but don't let the opportunity to exchange it pass you by, since that nav the way it is will clearly not work for you.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh yeah...........

the sm-900 is a great amp

but it's not the most powerful amp out there for the rated wattage, (neither is eden), and you have to like the swr tone.

the original purple lettering sm-900 is on my "gotta get it one day just to have" list. i gassed hard for one of those about 15 years ago but never had the dough. then when i did there were other things i wanted. i have an electric blue head from the same era. the semi parametric eq on mine is identical to one channel of the 900. mine lacks the bass and treble shelving control, and the limiter, all of which are cool features. IMO, all of the swr amps from that era sound identical. more on the "hi-fi but chilly" side. however, desopite the fact that it's not my favorite tone soloed, it cuts liek a knife in a live setting. i still use my EB as a preamp thru a stewart 2.1 (btw, volume wise, that combo eats the sm-900 for lunch) :cool:
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You almost certainly have a defective one. The Eden Navigator is known to be an excellent pre. Unless the company's standards have REALLY gone downhill recently, this is an exception rather than the rule. You need to seek repair, I'd say.
  10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
  11. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Interesting, pretty unanimous about a defect. I wouldn't DARE give that signal to a soundman, we'll see how it goes.
    SM-900 is extremely rare around here. Low power for rating, quiet DO & hi fi sound eh? Maybe very similiar to my GK 1001RB? Not pleasant for reviews so far! 100% pleasant for Eden.
    I would never have expected this kind of problem from Eden but its scary knowing my money is tied up to a store with no refunds & with a bum product (To this point)
  12. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Eden emailed, we'll see if they have the courage to intervene & save me from this dead Navigator. I refuse to by quality Eden products that need to go to the shop right out of the box. Not happening! We'll see
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh for crying out loud! Just buy the danged SWR then. They've NEVER had anything leave the shop with a defect.
  14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Good lord, man, EVERY manufacturer has freaky things happen on rare occassion, that's what WARRANTIES are for, dig?

You have a warranty, use it. Just don't go around claiming that all new Eden Navigators are defective, alright? Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater . . . you're really over-reacting here, IMO.
  15. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The Eden is ill and the SWR is a different creature than the Eden. Now here's the subjective part: SWRs can sound great set flat. Edens have a signature sound that I compare to an old B15. Great sound but how does it work in the live mix? When Manring is playing do you hear an amp or his wonderful work. I hated the days when you could name which Yamaha DX7 patch was on a radio tune. SWRs are criticized for a clinical tone and I say turn down that tweeter in the cab and drop the treble a hair and you have an amp that can do any tone. When I see both of these rigs used by professionals for a decade I wonder if the attacks are because they really are good and so let's find something wrong with them cause they can't be perfect. When you can afford it you won't tell me that an amp of a different price point is as good as something with better quality components. Both of these companies were started by little guys who wanted to make a good product for bass with an if you build it (good)they will come attitude.
  16. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    My comment about the Eden is subjective.I think that some amps have a sound and sound great when soloed but may have too much syrup when in a group setting. IMHO SWRs cleaness allow clear definition of the frequency range that also sits well in a mix and allows the tone of the fingers to come through. Ultimately it's up to the musician what brings his sound to life for all to hear.
  17. :eek:

He said... DX7

:cool: :cool: :cool:
  18. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Just dont like buying new product that needs repair day one with obvious signs of problems, bad DO signal, water damaged manual & sticky stuff all over knobs. It has been abused to some extent. For example, when I made that trip to GC I noticed at least 5 brand new items that have been almost completely destroyed, huge gouges, paint chips, one 4x10 with 2 cracked corners & a kicked in metal grill, NEW stock & NEW price! Now what would you say if this stuff showed up at your door when you bought a new product? Be a little pissed?
    Not claiming Eden would send out a bad seed or all Navigators are bad either, just want the opportunity to have one that works before I record in the studio April 22nd. This one currently does not. $4300 for 3 songs with nothing to with, over reacting? I was hoping that Eden would be able to get me a new unit in time since the store is holding my money hostage with no refunds. Its a little upsetting man.
    Don't want to knock Eden, the STINKS part applies to mine which anybody who heard it would agree.
    What I'm getting close to doing is taking the credit (I'll find creative ways to spend it later) and buying a new unit elsewhere vs. the SWR SM-900 at this point. Eden doesn't have stock to send out, they tried though have to give them credit for that. I'm just stuck with a bum unit for now, my new one will KICK ASS & I'll write that post just for you darling
  19. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Doesn't GC take anything back with a reciept except special orders? They do in MD.
  20. Most guitar centers I've gone to will grab you the same item from the back in brand new condition in a box when you tell them you "want to buy this." If you bought a floor model, paid full price for it, and didn't realize it, thats on you. I doubt, although its possible, Eden would send out a beaten up unit like that. All the floor models I've ever seen, (including a bass and an amp I purchased) have been discounted big time. It sucks about your recording situation but I would've inspected and tried the unit before I brought it home.